Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
Announcements       Thread starter PSXHAX       Start date Feb 19, 2016 at 12:11 AM       28      

Should Apple Build a Custom iOS version for the US Government?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to CNN, Apple has been ordered to create a backdoor to their iPhone for the FBI to use to examine a phone recovered from the San Bernardino shooters.

In response, Apple CEO Tim Cook published an open letter to customers to get their feedback on what he calls "an overreach by the U.S. government" in attempt to help combat terrorism.

While I personally can't stand Apple (Droid fan here :p) I'm inclined to agree that Apple shouldn't be forced to build an iOS version that bypasses and compromises their security encryption, although in certain cases such as this I can see the U.S. government's point of view as well.

Does anyone else have thoughts on this? Feel free to comment or vote in the Poll :cool:
Apple_Hacking.jpg

Comments

Here's a quick update for those following the story: It’s official, the FBI has unlocked San Bernardino shooter’s phone; drops case against Apple

From TryModern.com, to quote: The US Justice Department has dropped its case against Apple as they have unlocked Syed Farook’s iPhone via an alternative method and will no longer need the tech giant’s help.

In an official court document, they summed up the status as follows:

"The government has now successfully accessed the data stored on Farook’s iPhone and therefore no longer requires the assistance from Apple Inc. mandated by Court’s Order Compelling Apple Inc. to Assist Agents in Search dated February 16, 2016."

Here's a quick update for those following the story: It’s official, the FBI has unlocked San Bernardino shooter’s phone; drops case against Apple

From TryModern.com, to quote: The US Justice Department has dropped its case against Apple as they have unlocked Syed Farook’s iPhone via an alternative method and will no longer need the tech giant’s help.

In an official court document, they summed up the status as follows:

"The government has now successfully accessed the data stored on Farook’s iPhone and therefore no longer requires the assistance from Apple Inc. mandated by Court’s Order Compelling Apple Inc. to Assist Agents in Search dated February 16, 2016."
I can't imagine y either. Phones are so easily jb now days and the government knows it like they don't monitor to begin with.

They think us the ppl are stupid not all of us have the knowledge but some of us that do know how they use our devices to track down activity

Apple's response via TheVerge.com, to quote:

"From the beginning, we objected to the FBI's demand that Apple build a backdoor into the iPhone because we believed it was wrong and would set a dangerous precedent. As a result of the government's dismissal, neither of these occurred. This case should never have been brought.

We will continue to help law enforcement with their investigations, as we have done all along, and we will continue to increase the security of our products as the threats and attacks on our data become more frequent and more sophisticated.

Apple believes deeply that people in the United States and around the world deserve data protection, security and privacy. Sacrificing one for the other only puts people and countries at greater risk.

This case raised issues which deserve a national conversation about our civil liberties, and our collective security and privacy. Apple remains committed to participating in that discussion."

Don't like apple love android but i can see both sides of this apple shouldnt have to make a back door but i can see where the US Government is coming from

Indeed! I see where they come from. Yet I also despise them. Gov't I mean, Not Apple, In my case. I also think that apple thinks much like sony in terms of trying to lock down their devices. but this is only BECAUSE SONY MADE IT ILLEGAL! @PSXHAX @Carnavs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back