Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
PS4 Guides and Tutorials       Thread starter BwE       Start date Dec 13, 2018 at 7:48 PM       29      
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey! Following my PS4 NOR Statistics and PS4 NOR Validator, this is a brief visual guide on removing and flashing your PS4's NOR from Better Way Electronics.

This can be for repairing, backing up or just destroying your PS4, it's entirely up to you - no pressure.

Step 1: Heat your iron, which has a chisel tip, to around 400 degrees.
Step 2: Put Kapton tape around your NOR. Now put solder paste (flux) on both sides of your NOR.
Step 3: Insert a massive blob of LEAD solder on each side of the NOR.
Step 4: Using your chisel tip and while holding the NOR with tweezers, heat both sides (quickly) then lift!
Step 5: Move the excess solder onto your tape, just push it!
Step 6: Lower the temp to around 380 degrees and grab your solder wick.
Step 7: Clean the pads on the PS4 and then the arms of the NOR (if its not cleanable by simply wisking it away with the iron).

BwE Complete PS4 NOR Removal Guide by BetterWayElectronics 2.jpg

BwE Complete PS4 NOR Removal Guide by BetterWayElectronics 3.jpg

Step 8: Put your NOR on a break out board like mine (they cost about $1)
Step 9: Either solder each arm individually, or heat the NOR with a heat gun (400-500 degrees, high air flow).
Step 10: Plug it all into your Teensy.
Step 11: Use SPI Way!

BwE Complete PS4 NOR Removal Guide by BetterWayElectronics 4.jpg

Step 12: To remove the NOR from the break out board, add solder paste (flux) and heat it (just like before)
Step 13: Grab it with tweezers when you see it getting shiny.
Step 14: Put some solder onto your PS4's nice and clean pads
Step 15: Place your NOR and align it with the pads and then HEAT! (Same temp and time as before).
Step 16: Watch the chip drop down ever so slightly, youll see the solder run up the arms of the NOR.

Mission complete!

Note: This guide can also apply to 1200 series and above NOR chips. Just be a bit more careful with those.

If you like what I do, or just like me for me, buy me a coffeeeee!

BwE Complete PS4 NOR Removal Guide by BetterWayElectronics.jpg

Comments

I'm doing it at the BGA station. then the chip is not exposed to damage due to heat. If you used a preheater, you would not have to fry the chip so much that you can not see the symbols printed on it.

I'm sorry for my bad English

@smutek110

I get what you're saying but I don't like to preheat the board for such a small job. Plus heating and cooling twice isn't very good for the board.

Also the letters on the chip aren't burnt its just the flux. It can be cleaned off :)

This really is NOT the way to remove that chip. The absolute safest way would be with Very low melting point solder like Chip Quik. This method puts the chip under extreme thermal stress and is very likely to damage it.

At the very least, pre-heating the board to around 170c and then using top heat @ 230 - 235c measured at the chip only to finish it off would be the next preferred method. Using a hot air wand, and no proper temperature control is a recipe for disaster.

Just want to be clear, I'm not suggesting you were saying lifting the chip with hot air, but What I was trying to get over, was Chip Quik would be much safer and less stress on the chip, and the pads. My concern is not what you're doing here, but what others will do, and mess their boards up. Peace bro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back