Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
PS4 Help       Thread starter lubcho       4      
Status
Not open for further replies.

lubcho

Contributor
Hello there,

Six days ago I found out, that you can jailbreak PS4's, so I found one and bought one immediately (my first PlayStation console since the original, way back in '99). Luckily, it was on 7.02. Jailbreaking it was a piece of cake and I'm absolutely loving it.

However, I have a stupid question.

When I bought the PlayStation, I also got an original copy of Star Wars Squadrons, because my dad is a big fan. He now wants to play the game, however, I'm really not sure if installing it will be a good idea, as it's too new, and came way after 7.02 was a thing.

So what I want to know is:

- Do PS4 games contain system updates on discs? Would the game install an update silently and compromise my 7.02? Do PS4 games require a minimal version of the kernel to run, as it was with XBOX 360 games? If yes, can Star Wars Squadrons run on 7.02?

My console is offline and I do not intend to ever connect it to the Internet.

The game is still unopened in the box, so I need your answer to know if I'm going to play it, or return it to the store and get a second DualShock, or GTA V, or something else, idk.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Yes games update you to latest firmware at that time so the game you have is a higher firmware than 7.02. I think the the firmware update on the game is 7.55 maybe 8.00, so I'd leave putting disc in to play for now if you want to stay on exploited console.

there is a 7.55 exploit that may be in the works pretty soon also you can block updates being installed via internet through exploit page (update blocker) payload an pair this with al Al Azifs dns services.
Yes games update you to latest firmware at that time so the game you have is a higher firmware than 7.02. I think the the firmware update on the game is 7.55 maybe 8.00, so I'd leave putting disc in to play for now if you want to stay on exploited console.

there is a 7.55 exploit that may be in the works pretty soon also you can block updates being installed via internet through exploit page (update blocker) payload an pair this with al Al Azifs dns services.

Solution
Yes, new games do seem to come with the required firmware version on the disc, but to my knowledge won't install it unless you actually select "Update Now", and then wait around for it to copy the update file to the hard drive, and then reboot itself into update mode, and then write the new version info to the syscon, you've got until then to pull the plug if you/cat press the wrong button, friend/kid "helpfully" updates so you can play online, etc.

So not really any easier than letting the PS4 do it on its own, easy to push the wrong button but takes a lot of waiting around staring at progress bars before the syscon flash makes it official

Moot point anyway since if the game requires a newer firmware then the disc isn't going to get you anything unless you can convince the console to decrypt it for you and dump it out.

On the one game I've tried it (Katamari Damacy Reroll), spoofing the firmware version does get you past that check, but it proceeds to just crash instead. I'm wondering if maybe that isn't just far enough to attach a debugger and dump it decrypted, so you could then patch out the crashy parts on a fake pkg and run it anyway, but I haven't got that far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back