Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
PS4 CFW and Hacks       Thread starter dragonsurfer       Start date Jan 29, 2019 at 11:39 PM       48      
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I made this work-in-progress (WIP) port package to run DOSBox 0.74 on the PS4 using uLaunchELF by Nominus and PS2 DOSBox by belek666. I take no credit for any of these programs.

Simply install the PS4 PKG, run filebrowser then navigate to cdfs then select ps2dosbox.elf. DOSBox loads fine but will not accept input or run games as its not seeing the DOSBox.conf file... I added the file but its not looking for it in the right spot I think.

Download: Ulaunch Elf with Dosbox.pkg (14.88 MB)

If anyone wants to play around with it simply decompile the FPKG using the standard password (00000000000000000000000000000000)

I believe the traditional location for DOSBox.conf would be in mass: which uLaunchELF doesn't see on the PS4. If someone could remap that program someday to find different storage locations it would help marvelously with homebrew like this.

I think that uLaunch ELF also does not work with a USB keyboard on the PS4. I dont know if this can be reconfigured or not.
DOSBox 0.74 PS2 on PS4 WIP Port Fake PKG by DragonSurfer.jpg

Comments

ps4 isnt as simple as you think and the whole needing sandbox makes things a complete mess of matters. sure you can use dev kit but why when github has the hole setup free and no complaints from sony on your door.

I get all the hype over these ports but really whats next xp on ps4 through emu when theres no need the initial system has so much more power then people even know. port ps3 gaming on system without emu will harness the systems true power.

all the ports are great but for how long and how many will use them in the end guys

@Chaos Kid
I like the challenge of having something to do on the computer sometimes. Ive modded just about every video game console ive ever owned and ive always been thrilled by emulators for some reason. More often then not, once I have something like this ill use it for maybe a few hours and then forget all about it lol.

Honestly I get more thrill from software modification then I do from playing the software. And there is just something appealing about having all this stuff working wirelessly at the touch of my fingers, and showing it to people. On the ps3 I bet I spent hundreds of hours modifying custom firmware, modding games like skyrim, and even modding the shell and guts of the ps3 itself. I bet only spent 20 hours actually playing any of that stuff , but I loved showing it to people.

Once the ps4 came out I quickly got bored with it and sold the ps3. My ex wife hated all the time I spent doing that stuff, but I enjoyed it and and came home with something to do in the evenings. I have the heart of a modder.

With all that being said I spent about an hour tonight combing thru the sourcecode of this particular port of DOSBox and im a little lost. Im sure I could recompile it, but I don't see where to make the changes I need inside.

"port ps3 gaming on system without emu..."

How would that work without using the official dev kit? Even with it seems like a tall order. Also, without the source to port, Emu is your only real option.

Anyhow, I'm sure it's fun for the person porting DosBox, but what would you use it for? I'd get more out of a 1:1 Bash port (and I don't even know how to open a shell on the ps4! :p).

"...where to make the changes I need inside."

What changes and why? It's a... shell*, if you go mucking with it, it would have to be a edge case.

*not sure I'd call DOS a shell, but it's supposed to be one, at least historically according to MS.

It just black screens for me and crashes using the pkg file you provided. I know there are issues getting the config file to be read but isn't it still meant to load the file browser at first? Am I missing something here?

@MODDEDWARFARE I get no crashes from it. Yours is the first ive heard of. Not sure why it would do that to you. It should load the filebrowser and then let you load the elf file with no problems. Im on 5.05 and using HEN as my payload

@dragonsurfer wont matter linux or windows its just how it is right now. im thinking its also part due to fact games need to be loaded under part emu thro emu then theres keyboard layout and porting that may be a bit more of a challenge thro source code.

telling it where every key is but id have to look at the source again to see.

check keyboard.h is where all the stuff is located at for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back