Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
Announcements       Thread starter PSXHAX       Start date Sep 13, 2019 at 1:37 AM       11      

Are Brick And Mortar Video Game Stores Still a Necessity?

• Definitely! I still visit my local game store frequently.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Perhaps, I visit my local game store a few times a year.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • Nah, with the Internet I'm shocked they're not closed yet.

Votes: 45 39.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently GameStop reported a $32 million loss for Q2 of this year (Final GME ER Q2 2019 - 9.10.19.pdf) announcing that as a result they'll be closing between 180 and 200 'underperforming' stores before year's end... with even more closures coming! 💀 ⚰ ☠

This doesn't come as too much of a surprise considering upcoming platforms like Stadia rely on cloud streaming subscription models while Sony's current PSN, PS Plus and PlayStation Now services focus on digital downloads... although their next-generation PlayStation 5 console will still support physical media discs. 💽

To reminisce briefly, back in the day I frequented Babbages, Electronics Boutique (aka EB Games) and Software Etc for PC games... and for video games it was Child World, KB Toys and Toys R Us. 🦒

If anyone works at GameStop and has additional details or those with some fond memories of your favorite game store to share, feel free to do so in the comments below. 💕

:poll: Also cast your VOTE in the latest Forum Poll responding to the question of today's Internet-centric world: Are Brick And Mortar Video Game Stores Still a Necessity?

Cheers to Engadget.com for a heads-up on the news earlier this week. 🍻
GameStop Reports Massive Q2 Loss, Closing Up to 200 Stores This Year.jpg

Comments

Here's a Video Tour of a new GameStop store redesign in Pryor, Oklahoma that includes retrogaming bays to play classic console games, etc.

Unfortunately I'm still underwhelmed, and don't believe the redesign cost investment will bring in enough sales to substantiate it. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back