Category Random Stuff       Thread starter PSXHAX       Start date Sep 13, 2019 at 1:37 AM       2,647       10            

Are Brick And Mortar Video Game Stores Still a Necessity?

• Definitely! I still visit my local game store frequently.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Perhaps, I visit my local game store a few times a year.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • Nah, with the Internet I'm shocked they're not closed yet.

Votes: 45 39.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Recently GameStop reported a $32 million loss for Q2 of this year (Final GME ER Q2 2019 - 9.10.19.pdf) announcing that as a result they'll be closing between 180 and 200 'underperforming' stores before year's end... with even more closures coming! 💀 ⚰ ☠

This doesn't come as too much of a surprise considering upcoming platforms like Stadia rely on cloud streaming subscription models while Sony's current PSN, PS Plus and PlayStation Now services focus on digital downloads... although their next-generation PlayStation 5 console will still support physical media discs. 💽

To reminisce briefly, back in the day I frequented Babbages, Electronics Boutique (aka EB Games) and Software Etc for PC games... and for video games it was Child World, KB Toys and Toys R Us. 🦒

If anyone works at GameStop and has additional details or those with some fond memories of your favorite game store to share, feel free to do so in the comments below. 💕

:poll: Also cast your VOTE in the latest Forum Poll responding to the question of today's Internet-centric world: Are Brick And Mortar Video Game Stores Still a Necessity?

Cheers to Engadget.com for a heads-up on the news earlier this week. 🍻
GameStop Reports Massive Q2 Loss, Closing Up to 200 Stores This Year.jpg

:idea: Reminder: Those without a Verified Badge yet on Discord to access the private areas we recommend Joining Us! Why? The waiting process takes a week for new Members, and there's a lot we're unable to share on public forums including the latest PS4 PKG Games. 🏴‍☠️

Comments

PSXHAX

Staff Member
Contributor
Verified
Here's a Video Tour of a new GameStop store redesign in Pryor, Oklahoma that includes retrogaming bays to play classic console games, etc.

Unfortunately I'm still underwhelmed, and don't believe the redesign cost investment will bring in enough sales to substantiate it. :confused:

:idea: Reminder: Those without a Verified Badge yet on Discord to access the private areas we recommend Joining Us! Why? The waiting process takes a week for new Members, and there's a lot we're unable to share on public forums including the latest PS4 PKG Games. 🏴‍☠️
Recent Articles
Cyberpunk 2077 4K Footage and New NBA 2K21 Zion PS5 Trailer Video
Since the last batch of PS5 Trailers some 4K gameplay footage of the upcoming RPG Cyberpunk 2077 by CD Projekt Red surfaced with a 2021 tentative release scheduled alongside a new NBA 2K21 PS5...
CTurt on FreeDVDBoot for PS3 / PS4 and Blu-ray BD-J Attacks
Long ago we saw the Original PS4 Jailbreak for 1.76 FW via BadIRET Exploitation (Github Articles), and following his recent FreeDVDBoot PS2 DVD Player Exploit PlayStation 4 developer @CTurt shared...
PS4 Package (PKG) Manager Homebrew Application by Pakee
PlayStation 4 homebrew developer @pakee of Pakee.xyz recently Contacted Us with news of his PS4 Package (PKG) Manager Homebrew Application public release stating: "I made software to manage...
Sony Unveils PlayStation Plus July Games Celebrating 10 Years of PS Plus
The year is nearly half over and in July the PlayStation Plus featured games are Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration, NBA 2K20 and Erica as Sony celebrates 10 years of PS Plus. 🥳 Here's...