Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Proceeding the PSXITArch Linux v2 PS4 Distro, ITMania PS4 Linux Updates, his PS4 SFO Reader / Editor and PKGCheck PS4 Tool this weekend PS4Scene developer Hippie68 shared a guide covering How to Install PSXITArch on PS4, Enable Wi-Fi and Update the Distro in 2021 for those interested in learning! šŸ§ :geek:

Check it out via Hippie68's Github repository below, from the README.md: How to install psxitarch, enable Wi-Fi, and update the distro

Update:
I did all the steps below with a clean psxitarch installation to fully update it.

Download here: psxitarch.tar.xz (1.72 GB)

This is a fully updated psxitarch.tar.xz file, to be used in place of the original one.

Checksums:
  • MD5: 27c10f723e9a7aac7143157988cd700a
  • SHA1: 2d12eea0e60043f25e64829cd312358d53270754
  • SHA256: 2a48efae95b18eef1350bdda838ab6000d857055b2981ea893ef06b3d22394b4
You can use this file instead of the original psxitarch.tar.xz, to skip step 6 and to start with an updated distro.

1. Get the required files

You need 3 files: An initramfs file, a Linux kernel in form of a "bzImage" file and "psxitarch.tar.xz", which contains the psxitarch distro files. This is the official download page (in Italian language): PSXITArch Linux v2 (PSXITATeam Patreon)

Direct download links (as found on the official website):
Note: Some PS4 models do not have working Wi-Fi when using this Linux kernel. A kernel that has drivers for Wi-Fi dongles built-in is available here: Rancid(o)

Direct download link:
:alert: If you want/need to use this kernel instead of the default one, make sure to rename "bzImage.bin" to "bzImage".

2. Set up a USB storage device

The device can be a USB stick, an HDD/SDD connected to a USB adapter, an SD card inside a USB SD card adapter, or whatever else that qualifies as "USB storage device". USB 3.0+ is recommended.

Create a single partition on the USB storage device that uses the whole space and format it to FAT32.

Copy the 3 previously downloaded files "initramfs.cpio.gz", "bzImage", and "psxitarch.tar.xz" to the FAT32 partition.

3. Boot Linux from a PS4

Plug the USB storage device into USB slot 0, which is the leftmost one up front, and visit a jailbreak website (e.g. for PS4 firmware 7.02 up to 7.55). Select the payload "Linux (1 GB)", as it is important not to select "Linux (3 GB)" for the first-time setup, and wait for the jailbreak to succeed. When it does, it will boot Linux from USB.

You have to attach a USB keyboard (+ mouse) to enter commands. Use a USB hub if your PS4 doesn't have enough USB slots.

4. Install psxitarch

After the boot process is complete, you will see a command line prompt. Enter the following command:
Code:
exec install-psxitarch.sh
This script may run for half an hour or longer, depending on your USB device's speed. When the script has finished and you're still on the command line (which can sometimes happen), type
Code:
resume-boot
to boot into the now-installed psxitarch.

If you don't have a US keyboard: Once you see the desktop, set your keyboard layout by clicking the Mushroom in the upper left corner, then "Language" - "Keyboard Layout".

5. Connect to the Internet

Click on the Wi-Fi symbol in the upper right corner. Either you're lucky and you own one of the PS4s whose network devices are supported (then connect to your network and proceed to step 6 right away), or you will see the text "No network devices available". Which means you need the alternative kernel mentioned in step 2. With that kernel, you should be able to use some (not all) USB Wi-Fi dongles out-of-the-box. I found a list of Wi-Fi devices that are supposed to have in-built Linux kernel support here: USB-WiFi (buy at your own risk!)

If you don't have any Wi-Fi dongles that are supported, you can use a smartphone's USB tethering mode by connecting the smartphone via USB (the cable you use must support data transfer - not all do).

Example for Android smartphones (the menu names may vary with different Android versions):
  • "Settings" - "Wireless & networks" - "More" - "Tethering & portable hotspot" - "USB tethering" - ENABLE
On the PS4, a new network symbol that looks like an Ethernet plug should replace the Wi-Fi symbol, and psxitarch should now have Internet access. Make sure your smartphone is connected via Wi-Fi if you don't want to waste mobile data.

6. Update the distro

The distro we have installed right now was released in January 2019. A downside about an Arch Linux installation (which psxitarch is based on) is that the less often you update it, the more difficult it becomes. Psxita has made available update instructions in March 2021 (Ps3ita_Team), however once again it has been a while since then, and those instructions are no longer sufficient. It is still possible to update though, and that is what we will do next.

Click on the Mushroom icon and select "Terminal".

Some currently installed packages would prevent updating, so we will delete them (in the case of jwm-git only temporarily):
Code:
sudo pacman -R jwm-git
sudo pacman -Rc openobex openexr
Confirm with "y" each. Now and later while using pacman you may see the messages "call to execv failed (No such file or directory)" and "error: command failed to execute correctly". This doesn't matter.

Note: After you have deleted "jwm-git", should you reboot before the whole update process (6.) is complete (which is not advised), you will have no desktop anymore but just a terminal. If it lets you enter text, you can still complete any missing steps below. If not, try to open a new terminal by pressing (CTRL-)ALT-2 (or -3, -4, ...) and log in with user "psxita" and password "changeit".

Next, we need to specify a new key server by entering
Code:
sudo nano /etc/pacman.d/gnupg/gpg.conf
and replacing the old "hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net" entry, which is now deprecated, with a reliable one, e.g. "hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com". You can save the file by pressing CTRL-X and confirming with "y".

We also need to change pacman's repo. Open the file /etc/pacman.conf by entering
Code:
sudo nano /etc/pacman.conf
and change the very last line,
Code:
Server = https://psxita.it/repo
to
Code:
Server = https://psxita.it/repo-testing
Save and close the file like before, by pressing CTRL-X and confirming with "y".

Furthermore, the planned distro update would fail if we don't update the current keyring first. Enter
Code:
sudo pacman -Sy archlinux-keyring
and confirm each question that looks like ":: Import PGP key [...]?" with "y".

We could now start the distro update, but there is one noteworthy problem left: our current pacman is so old that it won't understand a new keyword ("Path") used by hooks at the end of the update process. Fortunately, there is a statically compiled up-to-date pacman available in Arch Linux's user repository (AUR): Arch Linux's User Repository (AUR)

As a binary file is provided there as well, let's download that:
Code:
curl https://pkgbuild.com/~eschwartz/repo/x86_64-extracted/pacman-static -o pacman-static
And make it executable:
Code:
chmod +x pacman-static
Finally, it's time to update the distro:
Code:
sudo ./pacman-static -Syu
Note: You could use the currently installed pacman instead, but I can't guarantee this won't lead to further problems down the road. Not recommended.

No matter which pacman we use, it will now download 900+ MB of updates and install them. Before and during the update process, answer all questions (should any appear) with "y" and always choose "1" if you are asked to input a number.

During the update, pacman will be updated too. So from now on there will be no need to use pacman-static anymore.

To finalize the update, we will need to get jwm (our desktop) back, which we had deleted earlier:
Code:
sudo pacman -S jwm
And that's it. Your psxitarch is now fully up-to-date!

Optional: Having downloaded all those packages now occupies quite some disk space. Which may be undesired if the USB storage device we use is of small capacity. If you want to free the space, type
Code:
sudo pacman -Scc
That concludes this How-To. I want to make sure it stays up-to-date. If you find any mistakes or want to add information, please create an issue at https://github.com/hippie68/psxitarch-how-to/issues.

Thanks for reading!

Bonus: Fix the audio lag

psxitarch by default has horrendous audio lag. It seems the default audio latency is set to 100 ms. Not good for gaming. To fix this, enter
Code:
sudo nano /etc/pulse/daemon.conf
and change the lines
Code:
; default-fragments=4
; default-fragment-size-msec=25
to
Code:
default-fragments=4
default-fragment-size-msec=10
It is important to remove the semicolons - otherwise the changes would have no effect. Save by pressing CTRL-X and confirm with "y".

To apply the changes to the currently running psxitarch session, enter
Code:
pulseaudio -k
to "kill" the pulseaudio daemon, which should then restart automatically.

You might want to experiment a little with the values, but if you set them too low, you will start to hear audio crackle. The total latency is calculated by (default-fragments * default-fragment-size-msec) in ms.

If you use RetroArch, open it, go to "Audio - Output - Audio Latency (ms)" and change the default setting from 64 to 0. Which indirectly means it will use whatever you have set in daemon.conf, as that value is now higher once again. Make sure the selected audio driver is still "pulse", as it is by default.
Guide to Install PSXITArch Linux on PS4, Enable Wi-Fi and More by Hippie68.jpg

Comments

hey everyone!

do the gpu drivers in the linux builds by ITmania (in particular the fedora one) have support for vulkan?

If yes, how can I force wine to use these? DXVK?

Cheers

This is insane, thank you very much I prefer text guides to videos. I have literally just started using goldhen on my ps4 on 9.00. I'm really enjoying it at the moment.

hi, im new to linux distros, sorry for the noob question but how do you update this without ruining the important stuff, can i just type (sudo pacman -Syu) on d terminal? wouldnt that mess the custom gpu driver etc? thanks

Hello, i can't install this, with the first file of bzImage, after put the first comand, it looks like intall in the USB, but in the end said doesn't find a location and doesn't boot the linux OS. I have to force the shutdown.

when i try the second file of bzImage upon entering the command "exec installpsxarch.sh" the ps4 shutdown.

its a PS4 slim 9.00 CUH-2215A MODEL, I try with other tar.xz files and the only one is working is ITmania... but the wifi dont work. What should i do to enable the wifi in the version of tron edition?

I'm having trouble installing any packages and doing system upgrades via pacman -Syu on psxitarch due to issues with keys.

I did a little research and it seems that if your hardware clock is incorrect your keys will be all incorrect and you will not be able to upgrade or install packages.

Is this a problem with the linux kernel itself not knowing how to access or read the ps4's hardware clock or am I doing something wrong?

Edit: When I attempt to view hardware clock by running hwclock command I get this error:
Code:
hwclock: Cannot access the Hardware Clock via any known method.
I'm assuming this problem is the crux of the key issues i'm having when attempting to install packages/update the system
Code:
hwclock --verbose output:
System Time: 1661101539.071841
Trying to open: /dev/rtc0
Trying to open: /dev/rtc
Trying to open: /dev/misc/rtc
No usable clock interface found
hwclock: Cannot access the Hardware Clock via any known method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back