Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today @HydrogenNGU (aka Ho Ho Hoes :santa:) made available some PS4 Hacking / Modding Frequently Asked Questions via NextGenUpdate.com which can also be found below.

PlayStation 4 developers contributing to the PS4 FAQ include Zecoxao, Red-EyeX32, Specter and SC58 so a BIG THANKS to them also. <3

To quote: PS4 Hacking/Modding FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

Introduction

So today I bring you an informative thread shining light upon questions' individuals have been asking around the forums lately. This includes anything related with: P!rating, Modding, Jailbreaks, Custom Firmwares, Downgrades, etc..

This will break down most of the questions we see in our everyday lives that most people ask. We'll try to get through them all, if not, just hit us up with a Private Message (PM), and i'll attempt to respond back with an answer to your question as fast as possible.

I will be updating this with more questions including the answers so this thread doesn't go dead; so until we get a new section pertaining to PS4 Mods Questions and Support. This would be in this section for a while. We have a long way to go before anything comes up that sparks the scene, but lets get straight into this!

Table of Contents
  • Introduction - Shining light upon the beginning, and what this thread is going to be about.
  • P!rating Questions - Questions related with p!rating, and what has been released/said towards this topic.
  • Real Time Modding - Questions related with RTM, and what has been released/said towards this topic.
  • Trophy Modding - Questions related with Trophy Modding, and what has been released/said towards this topic.
  • Downgrade Questions - Questions related with Downgrading, and what has been said towards this topic.
  • Jailbreak Questions - Questions related with a jailbreak.
  • Custom Firmware Questions - Questions concerning about CFWs, and what has been said towards this topic.
  • Firmware Questions - Questions concerning about Firmwares.
  • Code/Vocab Questions - Questions concerning what are some of the words in the PS4 Scene mean, and what do some codes really mean.
P!rating Questions

Question: Is there any way to p!rate games yet on PlayStation 4?

Zecoxao: There is a way, and it works for non-retail consoles (mostly because they can launch elfs in a working environment with Target Manager), but the consoles need to be activated, and i'm not the person to talk about that.

Question: When do you think we will be able to p!rate games for the PS4 Console?

Zecoxao: Probably when someone makes an environment similar to henkaku for it, with the ability to load "packages" (which in the case of henkaku are just zips renamed as vpk) and with fselfs that can be loaded with certain flags, that allow the user to customize the app.

Question: Pros and Cons of making P!rating available to us for the PS4?

Hydrogen:

Pros:
You get free games, DLCs, and literally anything for free by downloading it. You also get to enjoy more games without spending a single penny on anything.

Cons: If p!rating ever becomes a thing on PS4, games' prices will actually get higher then usual. So goodbye to those 60$ games if this ever becomes a thing.

Zecoxao: Everyone should know what are the Cons, you risk getting yourself a lawsuit over making the method available to everyone. As for Pros, well, you make the method available for everyone lol.

Specter: You guys realize that if backups becomes a big thing the price of games will increase right?

Real Time Modding Questions

Question: Can we mod games on PS4 already?

Hydrogen: Yes, you can already mod on PlayStation 4 running on a 1.76 Firmware. Grand Theft Auto 5 is the only game we have seen that has been modded at the moment. RTM Tools and Mod Menus are possible by running native code; of course with the help of CTurt's work, Linux, and more stuff.

This doesn't conclude everyone can mod if they have this firmware PS4. Only a hand full of people that know how to code, and run the PS4 Developer Tools. They could actually be able to mod on the Next Gen Consoles.

Question: I heard people can mod already, i'm scared of them ruining online. Is there any way they will mod online soon?

Hydrogen: For the moment, no, you wont see people actually modding online any time soon. Reason why it wont happen for a while. One, Spoofing is considered to be in the PS4 Processor named SAMU. SAMU is a processor part of the PlayStation 4's Encryption which has a high level security in it. If we decrypt the SAMU, well that's when it would be useful on trying to figure out on a spoof method to mod online. This might take a while to figure out.

Zecoxao: Unless someone handles SAMU, there won't be any online (spoofing, passphrase keys, index.dat spoofing, etc), since everything is there, and won't get out.

Question: What games are possible to mod currently?

Hydrogen: At the very moment, we could only mod Grand Theft Auto 5. That doesn't stop it from meaning we can't mod other games. If modding can be done on one game, it can be done on any other game.

Question: How do people mod their PS4 XMB/Menu?

Hydrogen: They used the same method from the Vita Trophylist XMB Hack. It has an unencrypted SQL towards the app.db; their are more ways to do this as well.

Trophy Modding Questions

Question: Is there any way to mod trophies yet on PlayStation 4?

Hydrogen: Yes it is possible. Kurt & Bad ChoicesZ have confirmed to us that it is possible. They had ran a small API Tool unlocking the first 5 trophies on Advanced Warfare. If you'd like to check it out, click this link: 1.76 AW Trophy Modding

Zecoxao: Well, you have the keys available on wiki to decrypt and re-encrypt the trophies. So... go make some tools

Question: When do you think we will be able to mod trophies for the PS4 Console?

Hydrogen: Well you can already mod trophies in a way. Just like Zecoxao stated above, the keys are available on the PS4DevWiki. Go make the tools if you really want it!

Question: Are we able to sync the trophies once we mod it?

Hydrogen: To be honest in my own opinion. If we'd want to sync, we'd probably have to wait to spoof online. Which you know... is inside of SAMU lol..

Downgrading Questions

Question: Is there any way to downgrade yet on PlayStation 4?

Zecoxao: There is a way, which is with the official JigKick, but since nobody has access to the tools, it's unlikely it'll ever leak or show online. Also, Sony has added protection with private keys, so you need the official dongle, so no more cheap clones for you lol.

Question: Will downgrading be the same as the PlayStation 3?

Zecoxao: Maybe, depends on how different the JigKick is from PlayStation 3 to 4.

Question: Which consoles are downgradeable at the moment?

Hydrogen: All Non-Retail TestKits (Normal PS4 Console) are downgradeable. No PS4 PRO's at the moment are downgradeable.

SC58: If you have a PRO TestKit, and it comes on 3.70. You won't be able to downgrade lower then 3.70, it just like ps3 dech 2k,3k,4k etc..

There is already different ps4 models of testkit released that people have that can't downgrade to some fw cause the model it is, but yes any testkit can downgrade or update.

Jailbreak Questions

Question: Is there any way to jailbreak yet on PlayStation 4?

Zecoxao: Yeah lol, 1.76 with dlclose and BadIRET. It's not the same as CFW, but more like HEN, so...

Question: When could we be able to jailbreak our own consoles?

Hydrogen: Whenever you get yourself a 1.76, and know what you're doing or of course, someone releases a tutorial on how to do all of it.

CFW Questions

Question: Will there ever be Custom Firmwares on PlayStation 4?

Zecoxao: In the aspect of something that is similar to TaiHEN, yes. In the coldboot aspect, no, not really (unless you consider standby booting as coldboot)

Question: How hard is it to create a Custom Firmware?

Hydrogen: Obviously it's hard wtf it would've took a day if it was that easy y'know.

Question: How could Custom Firmwares make the PS4 Console Modification better?

Hydrogen: You could expand more modifications towards the PS4 Console of course.

Firmware Questions

Question: Is 1.76 good to start off?

Hydrogen: Well yeah of course, I mean you have modding available for games plus trophies. In addition, the "jailbreak" (quote-on-quote) is on that firmware as well. (This is only a gold firmware if you know what you're doing.)

Question: I updated it passed 1.76, did I screw up?!

Hydrogen: No not really, if I was you, i'd stay below 4.01 FW. You never know if someone releases something nice for later firmwares. Those are firmwares where you could see better modifications. Just use Red's PSProxy to stay lower then 4.01, and you'll be fine.

Question: Did Sony patch up the 4.01 Jailbreak Exploit?

Hydrogen: Yes they did. They patched it with the 4.06 System Update which pretty much patched all the security holes towards that exploit. In addition, they patched up more exploits with the 4.07 system update also.

Code/Vocabulary Questions

Question: Is this new? //base = open ("/dev/null", O_RAWD)

Hydrogen: No, this simply gets your directory, puts its on write/read mode, and stores it in a integer (base)

Question: What is a Webkit?

Hydrogen: WebKits are an Open Source which gives Web Pages in a Browser for variety of consoles (including the PlayStation 4).

Question: Where do I find Saves?

Hydrogen: /user/home/[userID]/savedata/[titleID]/ - Saves have been decrypted already.

Question: What is a Kernel?

Hydrogen: Think of a Kernel as a heart, it's the central component in a computer's operating system. This helps it by communicating with two different things at the same time. Communicates with the Application Software and the Hardware Level. (No we are not talking about popcorn you silly goose.)

Question: What is an Exploit?

Hydrogen: An exploit is grabbing some data or commands to take advantage of a bug/vulnerability creating it to do something the opposite of what it is supposed to do (in a negative way).

Question: What is the PS4's Operating System?

Hydrogen: PlayStation 4 runs on a operating system named OrbisOS with the FreeBSD 9.0.

Question: What does AES stand for, and what is it used for?

Hydrogen: AES basically stands for Advanced Encryption Standard. The US Government uses this encryption; even PS4, PS3, and the Vita!

Question: What is a GPU?

Hydrogen: This stands for Graphics Processing Unit, also known as Visual Processing Unit (VPU). This rapidly controls and changes memory to create images faster from a frame buffer useful for the output to a display.

Question: What is a packageDigest?

Red-EyeX32: packageDigest is stored at offset 0xFE0 in the package file.

Conclusion

Many thanks for those Zecoxao who had helped me out with this nice PS4 FAQ so we could release out for the community who have been struggling with questions to get answered. In addition, I added SC58, Red-EyeX32, and Specter since they shared some information on some of these questions before on NextGenUpdate so i'll add them in here as well.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM so I could add them here! Also, please no arguing towards this thread. If you feel like there is a debatable answer, feel free to speak out, we'd like to hear your opinion on some things.

We hope you learned a bit off of this thread, and glad you're part of the scene with us. Lets hope to see 2017 the year to come for the PlayStation 4 Console!

Credits

Zecoxao
Red-EyeX32
Specter
SC58
Thanks again to @HydrogenNGU for sharing the PS4 Hacking/Modding FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) in the PSXHAX Shoutbox! :thumbup:
Hacking and Modding the PS4 FAQ by Hydrogen at NextGenUpdate.com.png

Comments

$60 for a game is the reason WHY people need to pirate. That's a lot of money to people. $20-30 a game is reasonable, but then you get bent over for DLC addons and do not really get the whole game intended.

With the exploits patched now, there really isn't any reason not to release it to the 1% of people that didn't update their consoles.

Plus you need to update to play online which most people do. It would sell more consoles so people would have an online PS4 and a JB PS4 to maybe try before they buy for the online PS4.

Yes of course.... There is a way....
But this way is only for a selected people! Life... happiness... If it is shared, it is more!!!
My ps4 still on fw 1.76, and i can't do anything. Can't play new game, but finally i don't have 70€ for it.
Only buy a used PES 2015 for 20€.
backups or not games are many expensive!!!
If the games costs 15-20-25€ maybe i can buy 1 or 2 new game and not a game 2 years old. For christmas we have a promo, uncharted 4 for only 50€, It's a joke?
I work 1 month for 1000€ and must be pay 50-70€ for a game? No i'm sorry...
Play backup games on ps4 is only a old dream.
Have a tutorial for 1.76 users???
For what? For internet on linux system? Or play a divx movie? For steam?
This is a jailbreak? WTF?
Thanks for the FAQ! We are very happy! :(

If backing up ever becomes a thing on PS4, games' prices will actually get higher then usual. So goodbye to those 60$ games if this ever becomes a thing.

There is zero evidence of this. On PC, where backups is rampant, prices are lower because Steam is competing with backups. When the 3ds, wii, 360, ps3, etc. got hacked, prices did not increase. Given how hard it is to not update and the fact that you lose online, it is unlikely that enough people would actually bother backing up to impact game sales.

Even so, publishers will charge as much as they can, and will use anything as an excuse. We already have $100+ limited editions with extra day one DLC for half-games that don't even have single player or splitscreen multiplayer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back