Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Previously we reported on news of a Steam PS4 Linux demo video, and today @Osirisx returns with a guide on how to install Steam (not SteamOS) on PlayStation 4 Linux for those interested! :)

You can find it below, to quote from OsirisX: Installing Steam on PS4 Linux

This guide is WIP and more pics will follow.

You may have seen my video running Steam on the PS4 and this tutorial will explain the procedure. Originally I intended to use Ubuntu for this guide since there's already a tutorial for that but I was having problems enabling graphics acceleration. Instead I chose Fedora which seems to work fine.

Required Hardware:

1. PS4 with FW 1.76
2. USB disk with at least 8 GB

Required Downloads:

1. Fedora-Live-Workstation-x86_64-23-10.iso
2. ps4-radeon-rpms.zip
3. bZimage & initramfs.cpio.gz
4. VirtualBox

Boot up Fedora using VirtualBox (with your usb disk attached) and wait until it reaches the welcome screen.

frDiX8E-1.png

Before we actually install Fedora, we need to partition the usb disk. Open up a terminal and type the following the commands.
Code:
su
fdisk -l
Find your usb disk location (Ex: /dev/sda) and use parted to partition it.
Code:
parted /dev/sda
mklabel msdos
mkpart primary fat32 1MiB 513MiB
mkpart primary ext4 513MiB 100%
quit
mkfs.fat -F32 /dev/sda1
mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda2
nbcxUAn-2.png

Keeping the terminal open, go back to the welcome screen and click “Install to Hard Drive”. Click on “Installation Destination” once the summary page comes up.

8AfwP2z-3.png

Select your disk and click on “I will configure partitioning” under storage options. Then click “Done”.

HrXdhvt-4.png

Once the next screen comes up, select /dev/sda2 partition on the left. Use the mount point root “/” and select “Reformat” next to File System. Then click on “Update Settings”

zguNF9A-5.png

Click on “Done” and then “Accept Changes” when the change summary page comes up.

EHHGGR4-6.png

Finally, click on “Begin Installation” when we’re back at the summary page. At this point, you should configure your root password and user.

C4ausla-7.png

Before shutting down Fedora, we need to install the ps4 Radeon drivers.

Go back to the open terminal and mount the partition that you just installed Fedora to.
Code:
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
Enable ssh server.
Code:
systemctl restart sshd
Find the ip address of your VM.
Code:
ifconfig
kSmWjL5-8.png

Use WinSCP or Filezilla from your host to transfer over ps4-radeon-rpm.zip to /mnt/tmp. (Note: If you get connection errors, you may need to set your network adapter to bridged in VirtualBox network settings)

Go back to the VM’s terminal and chroot into installed Fedora.
Code:
cd /mnt
mount -t proc proc proc/
mount -t sysfs sys sys/
mount -o bind /dev dev/
chroot /mnt
Now we can install the patched Radeon drivers.
Code:
cd /tmp
unzip ps4-radeon-rpms.zip
cd ps4-radeon-rpms
dnf install --nogpgcheck *.rpm
If you get an error with drm-utils, do
Code:
rm -rf drm-utils-2.4.65-1.fc23.i686.rpm
dnf install --nogpgcheck *.rpm
Gnome desktop can be too heavy for the ps4 to handle. I recommend installing something lighter such as “awesome”. Others may work as well but haven’t tested.
Code:
dnf install awesome
Edit /home/<user>/.xinitrc and add
Code:
exec awesome
Disable gdm at startup:
Code:
ln -sf /usr/lib/systemd/system/multi-user.target /etc/systemd/system/default.target
We should also disable vsync to reduce graphical errors. Edit /home/<user>/.drirc and add
Code:
<device screen="0" driver="dri2">
    <application name="Default">
        <option name="vblank_mode" value="0"/>
    </application>
</device>
Enable ssh server at startup if you like.
Code:
systemctl enable sshd
Finally install Steam.
Code:
dnf install http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-$(rpm -E %fedora).noarch.rpm http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-$(rpm -E %fedora).noarch.rpm
dnf install --nogpgcheck steam
Exit out of chroot, unmount your drive and power down VirtualBox.
Code:
exit
cd /
umount -R /mnt
poweroff
Copy over bZimage & initramfs.cpio.gz to the fat32 partition of your drive if you haven’t done so already.

Startup your PS4 with your usb drive in and boot up Linux with PS4 Playground. Once you get to the init screen, type:
Code:
fdisk -l
Find your Fedora partition and mount it.
Code:
mount /dev/sda2 /newroot
Start up Fedora
Code:
exec switch_root /newroot /newroot/sbin/init
You should then get a login screen. Login and type
Code:
startx
This will boot up your DM.
Open up a terminal and type:
Code:
glxinfo | grep vendor
You should have a line saying “AMD LIVERPOOL”. This means graphics acceleration is working.

Finally open up a terminal and start Steam. Because Steam comes shipped with it's own shared objects, we need to add LD_PRELOAD path before calling steam otherwise it will load older libs.
Code:
LD_PRELOAD='/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6 /usr/$LIB/libgcc_s.so.1 /usr/$LIB/libxcb.so.1' steam &
iGt9MNK-9.jpg

1Usitx0-10.jpg

Tips:

To launch apps from remote computer through ssh, we can just add DISPLAY=:0
Code:
DISPLAY=:0 LD_PRELOAD='/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6 /usr/$LIB/libgcc_s.so.1 /usr/$LIB/libxcb.so.1' steam -bigpicture &
To restart UI based login, you can do:
Code:
systemctl restart gdm
And make it permanent by
Code:
systemctl enable gdm
Recommended Software:
Kodi
Code:
dnf install kodi
kodi-standalone
0S93DvY-11.jpg

What's not working?

Sound over hdmi (sound over spdif works), wifi is slow, ethernet (only gigabit works)

Workarounds?

Usb sound card, usb wifi, usb bluetooth, etc.

Notes:
Whenever updating packages with dnf, remember to exclude Radeon lib updates as they are unpatched for the PS4.
Code:
dnf upgrade --exclude=libdrm*,mesa*,xorg-x11-drv-ati

:arrow: Unofficial SteamOS 3.0 Linux Build for PS4 & Game Demos by NazkyYT

Thanks to the fantastic @toni1988 for sharing the news in our Shoutbox! :cool:

Comments

Any1 notice that on the right hand side it shows VBOX for virtual box? this is cuz directly inside the ps4 gameos it runs virtually it's a created virtual image from a special VBOX itself that works on windows but inside of the distro I have it's also part of the image that was generated and infact does work on pc for ppc.

Ppc images can be loaded directly on windows but is mainly for Mac I used a bootstrap process to get an actual copy of linux to work so it's like Mac on linux n linux on mac

Any1 notice that on the right hand side it shows VBOX for virtual box? this is cuz directly inside the ps4 gameos it runs virtually it's a created virtual image from a special VBOX itself that works on windows but inside of the distro I have it's also part of the image that was generated and infact does work on pc for ppc.

Ppc images can be loaded directly on windows but is mainly for Mac I used a bootstrap process to get an actual copy of linux to work so it's like Mac on linux n linux on mac
The USB is prepped on a pc via vbox, then boots native on ps4 via exploit. No image is generated for the usb it is native laylout

The USB is prepped on a pc via vbox, then boots native on ps4 via exploit. No image is generated for the usb it is native laylout
Read the tutorial then. I know how distros are made n we don't use vbox images these days except the official ones on console.
On the console actual gameos is using vbox itself as it's included in the rpms list with many other features used. Nothing more then a virtual system bare metal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back