Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
PS4 Guides and Tutorials       Thread starter PSXHAX       Start date Apr 6, 2016 at 10:54 PM       3      
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not far behind the PS4 Linux Install Guide comes another handy tutorial from fx0day (Twitter) covering how to run Ubuntu on PlayStation 4.

Check out the guide with a PS4 Running Linux Ubuntu demonstration video below! :cool:

To quote: We need:
  • 1 PS4 FW 1.76
  • 1 USB Hdd or a USB Key big enough to install Ubuntu
First you need to install Ubuntu on your USB Hdd:
  • Download the ISO
  • Copy the iso to Usb with a tool like unetbootin (Win/Mac/Linux) (You can burn on a DVD also)
  • Boot on this USB or DVD
  • Launch Install on your USB HDD or USB key (you can make small partition in Fat32 for Bzimage and initramfs) and the rest in Ext4
I've used the ubuntu-14.04.4-desktop-amd64.iso and made the install on my USB Hdd (with a PC of course) , nothing more to say here just configure your keyboard layout , password ...)

So now you should have Ubuntu installed on your USB Hdd ...

Now go to the PS4-Playground and load Linux (you must have of course a USB key with bZimage & initramfs.cpio.gz in the PS4)

Now you should see better-initramfs shell ...

dZtjTG-1.jpg

Plug the USB Hdd where you have your ubuntu install (At this point you can remove the USB key with bZimage & initramfs.cpio.gz everything is in RAM)

Type fdisk -l to see the name of your USB Hdd ( /dev/sdXX)

wyNxnq-2.jpg

As you can see my ubuntu partition is in /dev/sdc1

Now just type (if your bootable partition is sdc1)
Code:
mount /dev/sdc1 newroot/
exec switch_root /newroot/ /newroot/sbin/init
Sometimes exec switch_root don't start at the first time , just type the command again .. Wait a few seconds and you should see Ubuntu running ;)

xgWTQ4-3.jpg

Keep in mind that there's no network working yet :(

PS4 Running Linux Ubuntu
How to Run Ubuntu on a PS4 with 1 USB Stick

Comments

Im having some issues setting my ubuntu up after re install... Im having trouble for some reason integrating the base to the dev kit

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back