Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
Announcements       Thread starter Jeff       6      
Status
Not open for further replies.
do I understand correctly that you suggest for new users the limit is 5 posts before allowing them on the news? specifics, not a lot. and we think. @Jeff

I saw 2 spam posts today, the first by Blue Print had no links in the post itself (as we already check for that for new users with no posts) but included a spam link in the title.

The second by Whisted isted was posted and then edited to add a spam link in the post.

So I will work on some further modifications tonight to prevent these cases, as ideally forcing users to make a number of posts to start a new thread isn't as nice a solution for the legitimate users.

I will post a follow-up when the changes have been implemented, as it's only after we see what the spammers are doing that we can add in 'checks' to prevent their various methods ;)

Thanks for the suggestion @Jeff! :)

Update: Ok, I have now made the following changes:
  • Changed the title of this thread, so new (spammy) users can't easily see and read it :p
  • Removed the ability for new users to Edit their posts (to add spam links) until they are promoted to a Member (requires 1 post plus 1 'like' received)
  • Added a check so that new users can't type common URL formats in thread titles (we can update this as needed should other formats arise, right now it covers http, https, .com, .net and .org)
Once again, this will be a work-in-progress... the above will definitely curb more spammers than before but depending on how determined they are to spam we'll have to revisit this thread and make updates to our system accordingly ;)

Well I would make it simple as in other forums , no links are allowed any sort until member makes 10 posts usually by this time u can see if he is legitimate user or some spammer ;). And one more thing boss I don't have any option to edit title of post in case there is something wrong with title, can only delete whole post kind of overkill :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back