Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
PS3 News       Thread starter misthalu       1      
Status
Not open for further replies.

misthalu

Developer
Contributor
So I just learned that apparently there was once a thing called the Netflix Streaming Disc for PS3 (and others).

The story goes, that Netflix had made an exclusive deal with Microsoft, so that only the Xbox had a Netflix app, and the PS3 did not. To get around this agreement, Netflix cleverly created a Blu-ray Disc utilizing BD-Live technology, which made it possible to stream Netflix with this disc on PS3, thus getting around the agreement with Microsoft - because it wasn't technically the PS3 console that had a Netflix app, but rather the disc that contained a Blu-ray Disc Xlet.

Did anyone here ever use that disc? If you search for it, you'll find lots of hits, including YouTube videos demonstrating its use.

I'm still curious to see it for myself though, so I wonder if it'll still work today...

Apparently there was a similar disc for PS2 and even for Wii too.

I have seen the ps3 and wii disc for sale on eBay but haven't used one so I don't know if they still work or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back