Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
PS3 News       Thread starter misthalu       9      
Status
Not open for further replies.

misthalu

Developer
Contributor
So it seems that this Sony BDP-S3700 Blu-ray player lets you connect a Dual Shock gamepad, and then play PlayStation3 games by streaming from the PlayStation Now network.

That sounds geeky to me! And a smart move from Sony to take over a bigger market of gamers.

But does it work ok? Has anyone tried it? What other Blu-ray players offer this?

When the Dual Shock is connected, can it also be used as a remote control for Blu-ray movie playback? (If so, then I imagine it could also be used for Blu-Play games, which would be rather awesome!)

I'm having some trouble figuring out what status is though this article seems to say that Sony cut support for PlayStation Now for basically all devices except PS4? Silly thing to change their minds so fast.

But it would still be cool to be able to connect a gamepad to a Blu-ray player, for the sake of Blu-Play games. ;-)

After some extensive searching and a phonecall to Sony, I can answer some of my own questions:

The number of devices that could do this was fairly impressive. 12 Sony Blu-ray players and a lot more of their Bravia TV's apparently offered this feature! Stream PS3 games, and play with your DualShock4 controller. What a brilliant idea.

Sadly, Sony decided to kill this feature back in August 15th 2017 for some silly reason, leaving PS4 and PC as the only devices capable of streaming from PlayStation Now. The Blu-ray players, the Bravia TV's, and even the Vita was abandoned in regards of this service.

So now there's a bunch of Bravia TV's and Blu-ray players that lets you connect a DualShock4 for no reason - except of course you can play Blu-Play games on the Blu-ray players. ;)

Thinking further about it, there might even be a chance you can use other Blu-ray players too - if the TV supports connecting a gamepad. Because some devices can be controlled through the TV via HDMI.

So many things to try out - so little time!

I don't understand how this could work... PS3 game normally will be installed on the PS3, how can PS3 games played on an Blu-Ray player without HDD?

Because you didn't install the games - you "just" streamed them. No harddisk needed, and the only processing power you need is the one for processing the stream.

Here a video of a dude demonstrating it on a Samsung Smart-TV. (Yes, a lot of Samsung TV's also offered this).

But as I said, Sony decided to kill the service on all devices again back in August 15th 2017, except on the PS4 and PC. So you can't do it anymore on these devices. But you should still be able to connect a DualShock4 controller, which is the interesting part in relation to Blu-Play games.

I don't understand why they would kill the service again on all these other devices. As far as I can see it was an awesome movie from a business perspective. A great way to get new customers - except of course it should have been cheaper. 20 bucks per month is too much. Should have been half that.

Ok, now I understand and then it's clear how Sony can stop this service.

But if a service is needed which need to be payed monthly to use it then I guess only a hand full were using it and Sony canceled it due to high effort without (commercial) benefit

That's probably true. I've thought about that too.
Not sure though how it's high effort to keep a service open on many platforms. Unless of course it's because the main app changes a lot, and thus needs to be updated on many different platforms. Then it makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back