Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
Status
Not open for further replies.

misterdean

Contributor
whats the difference between CFW and jailbreak? i assumed it was the same thing but i see two different forums for this. basically wondering if i can play backups yet.

i did do some reading before asking but there is so much false information floating around out there i'm not sure what to believe. i hear CFW is possible with firmware 1.xx and playing backups is possible for firmware 2.xx with rasberry pi.

also hear some group has demonstrated a working hack with firmware 4.xx but has not publicly released the information how to do it. is any of this information correct?

Here are some answers to the above questions:
  • While there is a guide for developers to run PS4 game backups, it requires both a 1.76 retail PS4 console and a TestKit (the more expensive unit that Sony game developers can purchase, see a comparison HERE). That said, the general population aren't bothered with it as it also requires an activated license to work even.

• The PS4 1.76 (and below) is jailbroken using the DLClose Exploit, but again see above for why to most it isn't a big deal yet, and when compared to CFW on the PS3 the Custom Firmware route is preferable for typical end-users to make system changes and run game backups since all of the coding work is already done for them.

• You are correct that scene groups shared bits and pieces and demos of their work for PS4 4.01, PS4 4.05 and PS4 4.50 but thus far all the rest remains private... so we're all still patiently waiting for a release by someone.

• As for the Raspberry Pi stuff, for the most part it's just variations of PS4 gamesharing methods such as THIS one.
If you have any other questions feel free to ask! :cool:

Jailbreaks come in handy for developers.
Whereas Custom Firmware is what end users like you and me prefer to use. Jailbreak is like a path leading to custom firmware which is everyone's preferred destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back