Category PS4 Jailbreaking       Thread starter PSXHAX       Start date Sep 21, 2016 at 6:28 PM       14,964       68            
Last weekend Twitter blew up with reports of a PlayStation 4 Payload Port work-in-progress from Specter of the PS4Console project, but alas today he announced that the PS4 payload idea didn't work out and for the time being Sony's black box is going back to jail. :X3:

You can read the full article entitled [PS4] A Remote Shell? Go Directly to Jail on Specter's Development Blog, and below is an excerpt from the summary to quote:

"Looking back, in hindsight I feel like I should have known better that this wouldn't have worked because of the jail, but as pointed out by a friend, it's not a complete loss. If we do break out of the jail via a kernel exploit one day, perhaps this could be of some use (partially why I still posted this article). I also grew a lot and learned a lot throughout this little endeavor, and I ended up surprising myself at how much I would be able to keep going despite hitting the walls that I did.

After all, this is what exploitation is all about, having an idea, trying it, and seeing if it works - never make assumptions about a system. Sometimes you'll end up following paths that lead to a dead-end, but that doesn't mean it was all for nothing. Maybe someone else can learn from my mistakes too - I sure have.

I might take a step back and take a break from PS4 stuff for a while though and focus on learning some more in regards to exploitation and the linux kernel for the time being though."
PS4 Remote Shell - Go Directly to Jail.jpg

Comments

Chaos Kid

Developer
Contributor
The system itself already has bash if you will. Obtain file structure you will realize gameos is nothing more then linux. A brief way of doing this is tcp obtain any call the system does for anything you will see it uses its own bootldr per each and very small now port on that loader as it acts as a call to the primary load system.

Hilongo

Contributor
as expected as this was ... it still kills the mood in some way ... well ... that until you start thinking that this is all a smoke screen to protect himself, while the truth is that he was successful....
Anyway ... at least it's a very interesting cat & mouse game we have going on :)

Legion PS3

Contributor
Dang, bro!
I wish GHotz could help. It'll really be on and poppin'
Anyway, not a chance in hell that wish will come true.
I just think it's hard to share anything extremely good giving the fact someone could get a subpoena. I don't want guys getting themselves in trouble for somebody like me thats sittin' around waiting, and don't understand jack. I'm just sayin'..✌

Recent Articles
Red Dead Redemption 2 PS4 Models and Textures Tool by ID-Daemon
Following his Spider-Man PS4 Skeletal Models & Textures Tool release and the recent RDR2 PS4 Modding Demos data miner @iddaemon (aka ID-Daemon) shared details on his Red Dead Redemption 2 PS4...
3D Renders of Rumored PS5 / PlayStation 5 Development Kit Patent Design
Proceeding the rumored PS5 / PlayStation 5 DevKit Patent that surfaced earlier this week, today some artist renditions based on the Sony patent have surfaced for those seeking a closer look at the...
Latest PlayStation 4 Game Trailer Videos from Gamescom 2019
Earlier this week we saw a Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2v2 Alpha PS4 trailer video from Gamescom 2019, and below is some more fresh PlayStation 4 video game footage from this year's Gamescom...
Chiaki: Free and Open Source PS4 Remote Play Client by Thestr4ng3r!
Last month we reported on a PS4 Remote Play open source client in development by thestr4ng3r, and today he released Chiaki... the first free and open source PS4 Remote Play client software for...