Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
PS5 News       Thread starter PSXHAX       Start date May 29, 2020 at 8:47 AM       17      
Status
Not open for further replies.
Although not likely to be as next-gen as this PS5 Concept Video for the DualSense PS5 Controller, today Sony finally announced their next-generation PlayStation 5 console unveiling will take place on Thursday, June 4, at 1:00 pm Pacific Time! 🥳

However, before getting too excited Kgarvey1 ran across THIS Webcache from Sony's official PS5 Site of limited backwards compatibility which has since been mysteriously removed from the Live Version. :unsure:

Below is a comparison of the changes, with the removed content in red text for those curious:

Lightning speed

Harness the power of a custom CPU, GPU, and SSD with Integrated I/O that rewrite the rules of what a PlayStation console can do.

Stunning games

Marvel at incredible graphics and experience new PS5 features. Play a back catalog of supported PS4 games with system update.

Breathtaking immersion

Discover a deeper gaming experience with support for haptic feedback, adaptive triggers and 3D Audio technology.

:alert: While there's a remote chance Sony removed the statement because they intend to add full backwards compatibility support before the PS5's Holiday 2020 Launch, it would likely still require a PlayStation 5 Firmware / System Software Update... and scene developers always advise NEVER to update a launch day console before thoroughly examining it for bugs, exploits, holes and vulnerabilities that lead to running unsigned code (aka 'homebrew').

Here's to hoping Sony doesn't continue to con people into re-purchasing old games as PSN titles the way they did with the PS3 and PS4 consoles instead of adding full backwards compatibility to the PS5 console at launch... after all, the more they neuter PS5 the harder it will be to convince early adopters to pay the price (which based on PlayStation 5 Price Predictions will likely be $499 or above).

Anyhoo, we'll continue to add PS5 news updates to our PlayStation 5 Forums as they're available and here's Sony Interactive Entertainment President & CEO Jim Ryan with further details on A Look at the Future of Gaming on PlayStation 5 to quote:

With each generation, from the first PlayStation to PlayStation 4, we aim higher and we push the boundaries further, to try and deliver better experiences for our community. This has been the mission of the PlayStation brand for more than 25 years. A mission I have been a part of nearly since the beginning.

There are few things as exciting as the launch of a new console. While this road to launch has been a bit... different, we are as thrilled as ever to bring you with us on this journey to redefine the future of videogames.

We’ve shared technical specifications and shown you the new DualSense wireless controller. But what is a launch without games?

That’s why I’m excited to share that we will soon give you a first look at the games you’ll be playing after PlayStation 5 launches this holiday. The games coming to PS5 represent the best in the industry from innovative studios that span the globe. Studios, both larger and smaller, those newer and those more established, all have been hard at work developing games that will showcase the potential of the hardware.

This digital showcase will run for a bit more than an hour and, for the first time, we will all be together virtually experiencing the excitement together. A lack of physical events has given us an amazing opportunity to think differently and bring you on this journey with us, and hopefully, closer than ever before. This is part of our series of PS5 updates and, rest assured, after next week’s showcase, we will still have much to share with you.

Please join us on Twitch or YouTube on June 4 at 1pm PDT / 9pm BST / 10pm CEST to see what’s in store for the next generation of games. I hope we can make you proud.

:arrow: Update: We have decided to postpone the PlayStation 5 event scheduled for June 4.

While we understand gamers worldwide are excited to see PS5 games, we do not feel that right now is a time for celebration and for now, we want to stand back and allow more important voices to be heard.

Consequently, their official YouTube event page description also reads as follows:

Updated: This event has been postponed. We'll be in touch with a new date soon.

PS5 - The Future of Gaming
PlayStation 5 Unveiling Next Thursday, Limited Backwards Compatibility.jpg

Comments

I didn't realize it initially, but the audio in the background of the video is apparently a preview teaser of the PlayStation 5 boot-up sound. :sneaky:

Purchased backward compatibility is just way too much bullcrap tbh, if I can't play the physical copy of the game I own then whats the point of even saying its backward compatible when all they are saying is I need to purchase a remastered digital bullcrap! Yada yada yada is all I got from the speech 😩

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back