Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 / PS5 PKGs.
PS5 News       Thread starter PSXHAX       Start date Jun 3, 2024 at 9:36 AM       22      
Following Sony's PlayStation State of Play event last week, today they announced that beginning on August 7th a PlayStation VR2 PC Adapter will be available allowing PS VR2 players to expand their gaming library with thousands of SteamVR titles! :cool:

Here's further PlayStation VR2 (FAQ / Hacking / Unboxing / Teardown) adapter details from Sony Interactive Entertainment Principal Product Manager Yasuo Takahashi via PlayStation Blog, to quote:

When PlayStation VR2 launched last year, we were thrilled to introduce PS5 players to a new generation of VR games with innovative gameplay and immersive sensory features.

Inspired by our passion to bring gamers even more content options, we’ve been working to enable access to additional games on PC, complementing the diverse PS VR2 games lineup available on PS5. Today, we’re happy to share that we’ll be rolling out this support on August 7.

Players will have access to buy and play Steam’s expansive library of thousands of VR games, including fan favorites like Half-Life: Alyx, Fallout 4 VR, and War Thunder.

To start, players will need to purchase a PlayStation VR2 PC adapter, which will be available for an estimated retail price of $59.99 / €59.99 / £49.99 at select retailers and direct.playstation.com where available.

Players will also need a commercially available DisplayPort cable (sold separately) that is compatible with DisplayPort 1.4, as well as a Steam account and a PC that meets the minimum requirements below.

Minimum PC requirements

Here are the minimum requirements for PS VR2 gameplay on PC:

Operating system Windows 10 64-bit / Windows 11 64-bit
Processor Intel Core i5-7600 / AMD Ryzen 3 3100 (Zen 2 or later architecture is required)
RAM / memory 8 GB or more
GPU / graphics card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 or later (Turing or later architecture is required) NVIDIA RTX series AMD Radeon RX 5500XT or later / AMD Radeon RX 6500XT or later (For the best performance, we recommend that you use an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 or later or AMD Radeon RX 6600XT or later graphics card)
DisplayPort DisplayPort 1.4 (must have a standard DisplayPort or Mini DisplayPort output port)
USB Direct connection only
Bluetooth Bluetooth 4.0 or later
Setup is easy: simply connect PlayStation VR2 to your PC using the PS VR2 PC adapter and the DisplayPort 1.4 cable. Then, download the PlayStation VR2 App and the SteamVR App from Steam. This will allow you to set up PS VR2 on your PC, customize your settings and play area, and start purchasing and playing games in SteamVR.

As with all PC gaming technology, performance may vary depending on your PC setup, including system compatibility and the quality of your DisplayPort 1.4 cable. Please ensure your setup meets the minimum requirements. SteamVR titles also have individual system requirements, so please refer to the game information on Steam.

Feature differences with PS VR2 on PS5

PS VR2 was designed from the ground up specifically for PS5 – so you’ll notice that some key features, like HDR, headset feedback, eye tracking, adaptive triggers, and haptic feedback (other than rumble), are not available when playing on PC.

However, other high-fidelity and sensory immersion features of PS VR2 are supported, including 4K visuals (2000 x 2040 per eye), 110-degree field of view, finger touch detection, and see-through view, as well as foveated rendering (without eye tracking) and 3D Audio in supported games.

While the most immersive way to experience PS VR2 gaming remains on PS5, we hope players will enjoy the ability to play an expanded lineup of VR games on PC using the same headset. You can check out Steam’s huge library of multiplayer open worlds, survival horror and stealth action games, sports sims, puzzlers, and free-to-play fan favorites on the Steam Store.

Additionally, as part of our Days of Play celebration, gamers in select regions can get $100 off PS VR2 and the PS VR2 Horizon Call of the Mountain Bundle (for PS5) until June 12. Be sure to check direct.playstation.com (available in select markets) and participating local retailers, as offers and promotion dates may vary by region.

Let us know which games you’re excited to try!
PlayStation VR2 PC Adapter Arrives August 7th Supporting SteamVR Titles.png

Comments

I was hoping they would have done something like this back when the original PSVR was released, but with the PSVR2 being an upgrade in everyway I don't mind it all that much now.

Still a shame that they haven't implemented some way to get the other features like HDR and eye tracking working on PC. Although $60 for an adapter is kinda too much for me on top of the already expensive headset...

as an early adopter of the first model of the Psvr I found the unit and the support for it very underwhelming. I am hoping that sony will support Psvr2 better than the first one.

I personally think all first party ps5 games should be psvr2 supported. And with the pc adapter for the Psvr2 is making it more appealing for myself but this dose not stop me thinking that it's still little over priced

It looks interesting for people already having a PSVR2 device and looking forward for a more diverse selction on games. The diversity of VR games in PS5 is a way far from you can play nowadays on PC. And well, if you talk about homebrew and even VR develop in PC...

It only rest to know how well it will work this adapter, that, in my opinion, it's pretty expensive. It must work really well to worth it. I expect the 'limitations' and incompatibilities that surely will be found doesn't stop the evolution of a more standard multiplatform VR devices, not only 'adapters'.

I think it's nice that Sony tries to make their device accessible on other platforms too, like they're already doing by bringing console exclusive games to PC, but the fact that it won't support all the feature it's capable of it's pretty dumb, especially for a device THAT expensive.

PC native visors will always be better for PC VR, no matter how hard Sony tries.

That's exciting news for PC gamers who have been eagerly awaiting the PlayStation VR2! Having an adapter that supports SteamVR titles opens up a wide array of virtual reality experiences.

It's great to see Sony expanding their VR ecosystem to embrace PC gaming. Does anyone have plans to try out PlayStation VR2 on PC?

I really wish this info could have come sooner, though I'm genuinely excited about this coming to market. I had been waffling on choosing the PSVR2 vs the Meta Quest 3 to replace my OG Rift a few months back and was trying to determine the feasibility of cross platform (PS5 and PC) use from one headset.

I had seen one person trying to get the PSVR2 going on PC, but at the time he was stuck on having to create new middle man hardware from scratch to deal with PC to PSVR2 communication. Didn't have the time to wait on the fruits of his labor (nor the skills to help) so I ended up with the Quest 3.

While I'm happy with that, hell, I may end up selling it just to end up with my original goal of a cross platform headset.

$59.99 just for an adapter is a very high price. Especially since it seems to me that $ony is taking this step to PC mainly because hardly anyone is interested in VR on the console!?

I'm a console gamer out of convenience and for me the VR2 isn't really comfortable/suitable for long-term use.

The eye tracking on psvr2 is crazy. But at the same time I really wish it were standard with vr headsets.

The concept always assumed futuristic to me and I wish it were on steam. At least it exists in some form on ps5.

I wish there were more games in VR with as much effort put in as Alyx, there a a few VR-Modded games I enjoy bu not nearly enough.

I agree with @boredguy123 bobdole, having a wireless version would be cool. Maybe a PS Vita 2 that gets put into the headset? That'd go hard.

Back