Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
PS3 CFW and Hacks       Thread starter misthalu       Start date Jan 28, 2017 at 4:34 PM       17      
Status
Not open for further replies.
Following my recent PS4 BD-J (PS4 Blu-ray Java) Homebrew answers, today I have a preview video of a PS3 Blu-ray Disc Java (BD-J) game port of Ukko's Journey I'm currently working on demonstrating Java homebrew on the PlayStation 3.

Ukko's Journey was originally a cellphone game developed by LuBlu Entertainment in 2008-2009. (See www.ukkosjourney.com).

In 2017 LuBlu Entertainment is porting the game to BD-J purely as a proof-of-concept project, demonstrating that homebrew for the PS3 + PS4 + Xbox One is possible with Java.

Once this project is complete, the game should run on all 3 consoles - from the same disc!

Here is a preview video showing the game running on a PS3.

PS3 Blu-ray Disc Java (BD-J) Game Ukko's Journey Preview Video.jpg

Comments

Good Job @misthalu
But my question is in java running on ps3 do we have access to system root?
if we do can we do something more interesting like (backups :cool:)?
Nice work
No, there is no access to any PS3 specific system files, afaik.
The good old "Java runs in a sandboxed environment" speech applies.

The only files you can access are the ones on the disc, and the ones you store yourself on internal memory in the player. (Used for saving highscores and such).

Well, I have a question ... The PS3 with the power that has and can even be a Linux port for it, also can not install or even run Android OS on it ??? Why Java are you proving to be working right ???

I am a layperson on this subject, more like an end user (simple), I would find it nice to be able to install .apk (android) games on my ps3 ...

There is a port for PSP of Android, and so my doubt if it would not be possible for PS3 too ....

No, there is no access to any PS3 specific system files, afaik.
The good old "Java runs in a sandboxed environment" speech applies.

The only files you can access are the ones on the disc, and the ones you store yourself on internal memory in the player. (Used for saving highscores and such).
OK now i got it
Tnx for answer dude (y)
keep up the great work :)

Well, I have a question ... The PS3 with the power that has and can even be a Linux port for it, also can not install or even run Android OS on it ??? Why Java are you proving to be working right ???

I am a layperson on this subject, more like an end user (simple), I would find it nice to be able to install .apk (android) games on my ps3 ...

There is a port for PSP of Android, and so my doubt if it would not be possible for PS3 too ....
I find your post somewhat confusing. Not exactly sure what you're asking, but I do see a "Why Java?" question in there, so:

There are two answers to that question:
1) It's available on any blu-ray player (which includes PS3+PS4+Xbox One) without needing to install any additional software first.
2) I like Java (or at least JavaME). ;)

Just a short status-update on this project.

I gotta admit it's been a bigger challenge than expected, and quite surprisingly, the device that has proven to be the most difficult one to get things running on, is the PS3! This is very unexpected. I thought the PS3 would be the easiest device to develop for, while all other devices would be trickier. But it turns out it's the other way around!

Things the PS3 doesn't like (and which doesn't make any sense), are stuff like appending a char array to a StringBuffer, or having several String operations in a single line. Code that runs fine on all other devices (including the PS4). I have no answer as to why it's like this on the PS3, but the rule to remember is: Write less complex code.

Luckily I have a BD-RE for testing purposes. (I strongly recommend you get one. You can make several thousand burns on one of those when testing BD-J because you won't be using that much space). Unless of course you have a DECR, in which case you can just run your ISO directly off of harddisk.

I don't have a DECR. I don't even have a PS3. The one I'm using for testing belongs to my mate, who's been kind enough to lend it to me for this project.

More updates later.

Thanks for the update, I have a Blu-ray burner but it's an older one (Lite-On IHBS112)... still works fine for my archival needs though. (-:

I'm going to need a few betatesters soon.

As a betatester you will need to be able to run the ISO on your console. If you have an XB1, then you just need a DVD burner, since XB1 accepts Blu-ray content from a DVD.

If you have a PS3 or PS4 you will need a Blu-ray burner - unless you have a DECR model, in which case you can run the ISO from harddisk using multiMAN.

The game itself has already been playtested back in 2008-2009, so you won't be doing playtesting. You will be doing "BD-J testing", which means "Checking everything runs fine on your gaming console".

Your name/nick will be listed in end-credits under "BD-J TESTERS".

Any volunteers with the necessary equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back