Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
PS3 Jailbreaking       Thread starter GamerAbei       16      
Status
Not open for further replies.

GamerAbei

Contributor
Hello.
Damn am I depressed right now.!
So, I had just applied thermal paste to my PS3 Slim CECH 2508B, and while I was on a pee-pee break, my idiot brother connected the power cable(those four wires that come from the power supply and fit into a clip lock kind of jack into the PCB), just for the fun of it. Then, he wasn't able to disconnect it, and in a panic to do it before I came back, he stupidly pulled hard on the cable, ripping the jack off the board, along with the solder traces, of course.

Guys, I would be soo soooooooo grateful if you could help me out and could reassure me that I'm not completely stuffed.

I am linking a picture of the motherboard. I have desperately tried and tried to stick the wires to something, but can't, and it looks like the traces don't go anywhere, like there is no trace on the mobo leaving the area where the jack was.

Any bright ideas appreciated, also, would be great if someone could link me to somewhere where I can see my PS3 model's mobo diagram.

IMG_20180131_210813.jpg

Thank you so much!

Its not really your fault, the board connector is easily ripped of the board as it is firmly connected to the psu connector. It happend to my twice in the early modding days of the ps3. You have to pinpoint the traces and make wired via's with the board connector and glue it back on the board. Not an easy task cause all the mounting traces of the board connector are ripped off. Take it to a shop if youre not up to it.

If you can work out the points you can get circuit board pens, you can draw needed tracks or could help get some of the points back...

Thanks a lot for the replies, but I have already joined the connector back to the board and bridged two of the wires to alternate points on the motherboard, by now. Trust me, it was hellish to do without any help or guidance, coz no one replied till now, but now, I'm faced with another problem.

The PS3 easily goes to standby mode with the red light as soon as connected to power, but, as soon as I press the power button, the light goes green and the fan runs for one second or two, maximum, then the lights and fan turn off. Then, either I have to press the power button again to bring it to standby mode or disconnect its power cord from the wall and connect again.

So, STUMPED again (hopefully momentarily).

P.S. I haven't slept since 3 days because of raising it from the dead, so now, getting it this far, I finally felt like resting a little. As soon as I wake up, I will also attach a picture of how I joined the connector and stuff. Also, my motherboard is JTP-001.

Thanks again, please shower me with great ideas and your blessings, people. :D :p

You should just take it all back apart again after you sleep. Three days of no rest will impair your decision making abilities. Reapply a penny size amount of paste so that will ensure that there is no gaps between the chip and the heatsink and let the heatsink spread the thermal paste when you screw it in.

Then check the paste after you tighten the screws to the heatsinks because your screws or heatsink might be stripped and it won't allow the screws to go in correctly. And make sure no thermal pads are missing.

From what I'm reading it looks like overheating and power issues. The fan wouldn't blow hard if it was just a power problem. It's either one or both happening simultaneously. Make sure the thermal paste is connecting to the chips and heatsink. If they are connecting it's completely power related.

@bnm1
1. I hadn't reassembled it.
2. Trust me, it is NOT overheating or power trouble.

I think I have pinpointed the problem most probably, but I need confirmation.
If you check the image above, you'll see some solder stuck with the wifi module (the silver box under the tail of the red arrow). That solder has crept in and stuck also with two or three outer pins of the module.That is causing problems, most probably. I am trying every idea possible to bring it out.
Please confirm if I am right and that solder is causing problems or not. I think it is.

Also, thanks for reading my freaking essays. :D :p

Just in case I didn't connect it properly, I am attaching my motherboard's images showing how I have connected the jack and wires back.

Anyone who sees this and has PS3 Slim motherboards' knowledge (mine is JTP-001) is requested to help me out and guide me, thanks.

Images' links:-

IMG_20180204_000633.jpg

IMG_20180204_001450.jpg

Bro what have you done to that motherboard :D
I see the solder on the wifi module but I doubt it's causing problems. It isn't touching any traces. If anything the wifi wouldn't work because of it. Just heat it up and remove it with a brush.

Yeah, why not, go ahead, laugh at my broken heart; kick me in the nuts while you are at it. :D :p

Bro, I know it looks screwed up, and probably is. But let's say that the wifi module is not causing problems.

Then what the hell is? You see in the pictures how I connected the jack and the wires? Did you get anything out of that?

Maybe the red wire I connected is causing the problem of the PS3 instantly switching off after turned on? Maybe it has to be connected somewhere else(the blue wire is for standby and is doing its job). Also, dude, you misunderstood above, when I said the PS3's green led and the fan turn on for 1 or 2 seconds, maximum. I didn't mean that when PS3 turns on, the fan runs at maximum speed, I meant it runs for 1 or 2 seconds at most.

It might be the wire it can't support the power draw when you power it on which causes it to shut off.

Yeah that wire definitely needs to be able to handle 5v. I wish you had a ohm meter so you could measure the power voltage going to the trace on the motherboard. Voltage definitely isn't being fueled correctly. Pin 1 should be power 2 and 3 should be ground and 4 is standby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back