Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
PS4 Help       Thread starter harok       11      
Status
Not open for further replies.

harok

Contributor
Verified
Hello psxhax community first of all greetings and happy holidays, I come to tell you if you know of any solution to the problem I currently have with my ps4 fat which is that it turns on and only gives a blue light and then turns off, I have to leave without power cord for about 10-20 minutes to turn it back on.

It should be noted that in 8.03 this did not happen to me, at the time of updating to 9.0 was what started the problem, I have done several actions such as changing the thermal paste, reinstall the firmware and rebuild the database etc and I do not find the solution anywhere.

I hope you can help me and greetings.

Solution
Hello people, just to tell you that I found the solution, over time the console no longer turned on and I gave up so I bought a new power supply, changed the thermal paste and cleaned the fan with compressed air, that gave it a second life and now I'm enjoying it again!
I don't think it's the hdmi input because it won't start, i.e. the power supply doesn't supply power until it's completely empty, so I think the update disables the internal battery of the console (the one that looks like a clock) and causes these problems with the fat but who knows is my hypothesis.

A quick search will show forum posts and videos of the Blue light of death. I have a FAT console plagued by it as well. Most often it is a cracked solder joint on the APU. It has a partial fix, but not a great one, maybe 2.

1 is to apply an extreme amount of mounting pressure with the help of rubber washers on the CPU bracket, it may turn on, it may break the APU.

2 is to take a heat gun to the APU and attempt to re-ball it or reseat it. This can fry the APU completely.

All PS4 models can get the BLOD, but once they do, they have a limited amount of time before they are completely useless.

Other causes are, although very very 1 in a million rare, the power supply itself failing, or some damage to the traces on the board. You can do what I tried and buy a second power supply and hope it works (mine did not, and sellers don't usually refund them), or write it off as dead and buy a newer one (or none at all).

I did an update on a console and had similar result. I think solution was to boot safe mode and try to do a recovery firmware reinstall and see if that fixes it. The recovery firmware is larger file then just the update file. Also it will ask what firmware # it is expecting so you know if it ever took the update at all (you may need to recovery 8.03 first, then update again. the screen says which firmware it needs, thank goodness).

I think if it at least has power, and you knew the console to be working before the update, you should be able to get it back to working order just as it was on 8.03.
Good Luck.

The 9.00 recovery firmware is available here. Verify checksums.

The PS4 pro i updated and had to recovery firmware install to get working again also had a nearly broken hdd. I put it onto 7.55 at the time and after a few hours of gaming it froze and then refused to reboot.

I upgraded hdd to ssd 2tb and haven't had any issues since. So just to advise, consider the hdd as the bad part possibly. Anyway, good luck.

if it is a solder joint on the apu before you try above try the old xbox 360 rrod fix cover the thing is like 3 or 4 towels and let it bake for an hour or two, allow it to cool down then try to turn it back on

any time on a console ive had a bad soilder joint on the apu i try this ALOT easier then trying to reball without a mount and jig

maybe the problem is the hdd, i will try to change it and tell you what happen, thanks anyway

anyway I'm getting the idea that it will only work leaving it without power for 10 or 20 minutes, maybe the error was updating firmware file from a link in a youtube video, I also tried the option of resetting it completely with the full firmware but nothing was solved.

If you got a spare hdd to test it, I would try that first. Eliminate the firmware as an issue, then hdd, then maybe disassemble and torque down the heatsinks a little more and try booting again before the towel trick.

I think maybe buy a cheap heat gun and try a cheap reflow yourself before the towel trick. I think, please, do anything but the towel trick. Good luck, let us know if you get it sorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back