kr105 released a PS4 Linux Loader Patch for 1.76 Firmware, and here's a follow-up PS4 Linux Installation Guide detailing how to install and run PS4 Linux from D-ecks via Wololo.
How to Install and Run Linux on your PS4
AT THE TIME OF THIS WRITING, THIS WORKS ONLY ON PS4 1.76 FW!
NEW METHOD (untested) - Magic DNS
- USB flash drive
- USB keyboard
- Internet connection
What to do:
0. Remove custom host from router (manuals.playstation.net 220.127.116.11) if added earlier
1. On PS4 Open Network > Set Up Internet Connection
2. Select LAN or Wi-Fi -> Select your network and enter password -> Custom
3. Set everything to Automatic, Do Not Specify, Do Not use, except DNS Settings
4. In DNS Settings set Primary DNS to 18.104.22.168, secondary set to 0.0.0.0
5. Download 2 files from http://kr105.com/ps4kerneltest/
6. Copy downloaded files on usb stick
7. Insert usb stick into PS4
8. Save settings and open User's Guide
9. Wait for a few seconds
OLD METHOD (use as fallback)
What to do:
- You will need to get access to the browser from 1.76 without updating your console. How to do so is explained below.
- Download the Linux Kernel and ram init files from kr105.
- Format usb stick to FAT32
- Copy downloaded files at the root of the usb stick
- Insert usb stick into PS4
- Get to PS4 WebKit Playground (http://cturt.github.io/PS4-playground/) using PS4 browser.
- Click Load! in Linux loader box.
If you want do something in console, connect a USB keyboard.
“Not Enough System Memory” error when trying to launch Linux:
How do I access the browser on PS4 1.76 without updating?
- Make sure you’re on firmware 1.76. The exploits have some hardcoded values that will not work on lower firmwares. You can get the 1.76 update file from here.
- If you’re on 1.76 but still have the issue, some people are recommending that you reboot your PS4 before trying again.
- Others say you might have to go into safemode: safemode [Initialize PS4 (Reinstall System Software)] with the PS4UPDATE.PUP (1.76 Recovery)
Web-browser on old 1.76 fw (without PSN of course)
- There are two ways, described from D-ecks on how to run the browser from 1.76 without updating your console as follows:
There are two ways to get web-browser works:
1. Edit HOSTS file on you router. You need router with OpenWRT, DD-WRT firmwares or any firmware that's allow you to edit /etc/hosts file on router. Add string below at the end of HOSTS file:
Then open: Settings -> User's guideCode:manuals.playstation.net 22.214.171.124
2. Without editing hosts. You need open Users's guide then scroll to page footer, click "support", on next page click Sony logo (not PS!) , scroll to footer, press G+ and go to g+ page, click on menu in top-right corner, select google search.
If you don't see G+ icon - change country on sony's main site to Russia or Turkey or United Kingdom.
I can make more detailed instructions about router setup, if it's interesting not only for me.