Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
PS4 Jailbreaking       Thread starter PSXHAX       Start date Apr 7, 2018 at 11:40 PM       35      
Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently the PS4 scene has been focusing on ESP8266 board methods including ESPHost, ESPS4ExploitServer and RetroGamerFirm while today PlayStation 4 developer @Al Azif announced on Twitter alongside the PS4 Exploit Host v0.4.2 release news of the latest PS4 modchip project for Webkit exploits tentatively known as The Gate... although with support for other devices including Nintendo Switch and PlayStation Vita planned it will likely be renamed soon he states. :fire:

Here's the full announcement complete with features from the Github update, to quote: Announcement

This project has been a little neglected since the 0.4.1 release almost a month ago as I've been working on another project since that release. I've haven't been hiding and posted a bit on Discord so this won't come as a surprise to some. It's a "modchip" for webkit exploits, mirroring the existing ESP8266 methods, just with more features/polish.

The device can either create a network to connect to (No internet access), connect to an existing network (Works just like this host), or create a bridge (Enabling internet access though the device). It's a custom PCB that's about 25mm*18mm*4mm (Currently) so it should fit inside most consoles. The front end looks like my regular exploit host and you can view a demo (out of date) of the control panel here.

Features
  • Control the device from your phone/computer over Bluetooth/Wifi
  • Open API for developers to interact/control the device
  • Press physical buttons on the console
  • View/Download UART data
  • Add, download, or delete exploits with one button click
  • Custom filetype (Compresses exploits into a single file to install/share)
    • Supports both Bin and JS payloads
    • Includes application to compress/extract these files
    • This is to save space and add to ease of use
  • Web based firmware updates for this device (Need no physical access to device to update it)
  • Basic usage without soldering (No buttons or UART)
  • A secret feature that'll be revealed after it's working 100%
    • If you do some snooping on the PCB you might be able to guess it
Hardware Info
  • USB-C port (Custom pinout for internal installation, but can just run off USB power)
  • SD card for exploit storage (GBs vs 3MB)
  • User Expandable
  • Custom Case for external use (Extender to turn a female USB-C to a male USB-A)
Testing process
  1. Software testing with ESP (8266/32) dev boards.
  2. Finish prototype PCB boards.
  3. Send out prototype boards. Will be a small batch, about 10 boards.
  4. "Finish" software, get feedback, make revisions to PCB as necessary.
  5. First batch of v1.0 boards. (Current bill of materials puts PCB cost @ $10 depending on interest, larger order sizes will make the board cheaper)
Beta Tester Info

It's currently in a working state, just using the API, with majority of the features are done (Currently the bluetooth controller & the admin panel HTML+JS are not 100%) and I'll be looking for testers (Bring your own board) within the next two week or so. Contact me on Twitter or Discord if your interested in testing.

To be a part of the first testing process you just need familiarity with the exploit process and familiarity with your ESP board (Be able to use the serial logger and flash the firmware).

To get one of the prototype boards soldering ability is a must. There are ~6 wires to solder, 2 of which being on the PS4 motherboard. I'll eat the cost for the prototypes.

If there is demand for prototypes, I may make a bigger order and will send them out at cost or make a bigger PCB order and send out PCBs with the bill of materials.

When all is said and done I plan to open source all the code/PCB info so others can help further development/produce boards for others. I want to have it at a 1.0 state before releasing before having others make incompatible software/PCBs.

PS4 ModChip Project for Webkit Exploits (ESP8266 Method) by Al Azif.jpg

Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back