Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
PS5 News       Thread starter PSXHAX       Start date Jul 3, 2020 at 2:05 PM       23      
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to video game research firm IDG Consulting, publishers are likely to raise the price of next-gen games for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X following the PS5 News that NBA 2K21 will retail for $69.99 each on them compared to $59.99 for current-generation devices. 🤑

Whether next-generation console games will justify the price hike compared to their present day console counterparts remains to be seen... according to Sony CEO Jim Ryan the upcoming PS5 hardware price will reflect value, so perhaps the same will apply to software as well.

Feel free to discuss this in the PS5 Forums, and to quote from IDG President and CEO Yoshio Osaki via GamesIndustry.biz on the news:

"Even with the increase to $69.99 for next-gen, that price increase from 2005 to 2020 next-gen is only up 17%, far lower than the other comparisons. While the cost of development and publishing have gone up, and pricing in other entertainment verticals has also gone up substantially, next-gen software pricing has not reflected these increases.

$59.99 to $69.99 does not even cover these other cost increases completely, but does move it more in the proper direction. IDG works with all major game publishers, and our channel checks indicate that other publishers are also exploring moving their next-gen pricing up on certain franchises, for the same reasons outlined above.

Not every game should garner the $69.99 price point on next-gen, but flagship AAAs such as NBA 2K merit this pricing more than others."
PS5 & Xbox Series X Next-Gen Video Game Prices to Go Up Says IDG.jpg

Comments

Well annual reskins like NBA 2K, EAs FIFA and Madden series should honestly be free annual Updates. They make way more money from selling Microtransaction digital cards which don't renew plus their offline career modes suck to justify an annual ÂŁ69.99!

sony sees opportunity on this lockdown period and raise the price so bored people have no other choice than to buy it

i'm not buying sports game i still have my nba2k19 and still keep it until the graphics are changed to be more realistic in 8k

better quality games better pricing I guess. atleast games on new gen consoles should have more content more things to do. soo i think that is fair enough to say atleast.

The part that irks me is as the gaming industry moves towards 'digital' versions (which I'm against, due to what jwooh mentioned among other reasons) companies continue stressing how much costs have increased... however, with digital games they're no longer paying for physical discs and retail packaging designs, there are no shipping costs involved and they aren't paying employees to pack or ship products either.

If anything, costs in this digital era with primarily computer-driven logistics should be lower than when they had to actually deliver physical products to customers... as others suggested it's likely just overpaid executives whining to get larger bonuses for doing nothing more than adding microtransactions... needless to say they won't EVER get my money, I'll wait until PS6 for a PS5 jailbreak to finally arrive to play 6 year old games that are no longer 'cool' as PS7 will be coming out by then. :sneaky:

It means I'll buy less games and maybe even avoid the new gen for a while. Not out of some pity party but because it's clearly going to be expensive, we'll be lucky to "just" have a global recession due to covid-19 and I'm already not a rich man.

Good thing my current-gen backlog is about 30 games deep ;)

@PSXHAX
Agree. The digital system is already total BS. No reason a game without being on a physical disc/cart, package and such should be the same price as a physical copy. If the industry is moving toward all digital, they need to stabilize prices as a concession. They won't because corporations want money by definition but they should.

It's crazy that I will pay the exact same price for the exact same game on both PSN and in a store. That's just nonsensical but the norm already. The least they could do is make physical copies $70 and keep digital at $60.

Video games these days are like used cars. Value drops dramatically low after the first run or after the the hype train disputes. Especially sports games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back