Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
PS5 News       Thread starter PSXHAX       Start date Jul 3, 2020 at 2:05 PM       23      
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to video game research firm IDG Consulting, publishers are likely to raise the price of next-gen games for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X following the PS5 News that NBA 2K21 will retail for $69.99 each on them compared to $59.99 for current-generation devices. 🤑

Whether next-generation console games will justify the price hike compared to their present day console counterparts remains to be seen... according to Sony CEO Jim Ryan the upcoming PS5 hardware price will reflect value, so perhaps the same will apply to software as well.

Feel free to discuss this in the PS5 Forums, and to quote from IDG President and CEO Yoshio Osaki via GamesIndustry.biz on the news:

"Even with the increase to $69.99 for next-gen, that price increase from 2005 to 2020 next-gen is only up 17%, far lower than the other comparisons. While the cost of development and publishing have gone up, and pricing in other entertainment verticals has also gone up substantially, next-gen software pricing has not reflected these increases.

$59.99 to $69.99 does not even cover these other cost increases completely, but does move it more in the proper direction. IDG works with all major game publishers, and our channel checks indicate that other publishers are also exploring moving their next-gen pricing up on certain franchises, for the same reasons outlined above.

Not every game should garner the $69.99 price point on next-gen, but flagship AAAs such as NBA 2K merit this pricing more than others."
PS5 & Xbox Series X Next-Gen Video Game Prices to Go Up Says IDG.jpg

Comments

imma stick with Destiny 2 and Warframe as well as other free games tbh hopefully we will see more freemium games come out with nextgen

I remember when they tried to charge over $100 for one game in Canada when when n64 came out.that didn't last long but games stayed at 89.99 most of the time. When I had a super nintendo game prices were 79.99-89.99 if I remember. The Sega genesis and super nintendo games back then rarely ever saw a price drop like we see today in games though.

There's rarerly a time I buy games on day one, I usually fall behind on my game playing so hopefully sales happen like we see today anyways.

This is a BRILLIANT idea! Especially during a time when the global markets have ZERO stability and overall weak, plus many people (waaaay more than usual) jobless and overall things just looking kinda bleak.... .. :rolleyes:

......so corporations do what they do best: "let's jack up the prices"

This stupid excuse they give of "well the cost of everything has gone up" is exactly that, stupid and just an excuse. With the cost of everything going up every year as it has forever, sony STILL practically prints its own money and brings in BILLIONS every single year in profits. Its just those billions are NOT enough, so to justify their greed to make more, enter the world famous played-out excuse of "well everything is going up"

The plague that is corporate greed (not just sony, but the health industry, insurance, communications, oil....etc etc) will always be second to only an extinction level disaster.

They suck everything they can out of you during any time, until you die. And when you do go, they don't care, your replacement, somewhere in the world... was just born.

Actually the pandemic probably caused the gaming business to increase. With people staying home with nothing to do you can imagine more people playing games.

Just like with takeout services such as doordash, and streaming services like Netflix have all benefited from the pandemic.

Playing lost ark on PC for free, spent 3 euro on store just that I don't feel guilty. The contents they have is unbelievable. 70€ is just overpriced for a single game doesn't matter how much A's they have in there title. And 70 for NBA? Is not fair and you pay for online gaming every month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back