Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesblond007

Contributor
Verified
Is it possible to back up & re-enable the PS4 database when all the games are stored on an external drive transferred utilizing app2usb.

I know this can be done if your drive is formatted utilizing the PS4 extended storage route. However, If your drive is formatted exfat or fat32, is it possible to, say reformat your PS4 and re-enable all your content from an external drive on firmware 9.00 without going through the process of reinstalling & transferring all the content to & from the USB drive?

I’ve seen mixed responses to this and would appreciate if it’s possible if someone could explain how to do it for someone without much linux or python experience. Having spent a lot of hours on reinstalling my games & moving them to usb I’m looking for advice if the configuration can be backed up & restored.

Knowledge or Guidance Appreciated.

Solution
@jamesblond007 When you gave an example to reformat your PS4, you mean re-initializing right? and then re-enable all your content from an external drive, I'm assuming you have the DB backup (App database, game saves, user profiles, app.db, etc) on the same external hard drive.

When you move games to external drive using App2USB, the game is still listed in your XMB homescreen that serves as a LINK that your actual game is on the external hard drive. When you restore the DB the game data is not included, according to stooged the spp.db lists the game installed on your homescreen as icons or tiles.

It cannot restore whats not in there, the game saves and profiles will be restored but the LINK (the game icon) won't. So without it...
I too am interested in this as I have both a slim and Pro on v9.00 with a 3tb ext hdd full of my personal library (no fpkg's).

I am thinking of just buying a couple of 8tb hdd's and doing a full backup to one and reinstall to the other (put the other 8tb hdd in one of the consoles as I want to update one and keep one on v9.00) but unsure if it requires Sony's midas touch to reinitialise (ie: update in the process)???

@jamesblond007 When you gave an example to reformat your PS4, you mean re-initializing right? and then re-enable all your content from an external drive, I'm assuming you have the DB backup (App database, game saves, user profiles, app.db, etc) on the same external hard drive.

When you move games to external drive using App2USB, the game is still listed in your XMB homescreen that serves as a LINK that your actual game is on the external hard drive. When you restore the DB the game data is not included, according to stooged the spp.db lists the game installed on your homescreen as icons or tiles.

It cannot restore whats not in there, the game saves and profiles will be restored but the LINK (the game icon) won't. So without it you can't run the games on your external hard drive. For example try deleting a game icon or tile for a game that you have moved to your external hard drive and see what will happen.

It is different if you are talking about rebuilding database, because the game data are still in your ps4 hard drive.

Solution
What I meant was rebuilding the database but utilising or backing up the PS4 data so I can retain the links between my external drive & my PS4. As the XMB Icons and links are lost when you re-initialise your PS4.

It does not appear obvious to me what benefit there is in backing up your PS4 as you cant utilize the information you back up. Other than maybe game saves which you can save to a usb without making a system backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back