Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
PS3 Jailbreaking       Thread starter Radio       Start date Jan 26, 2016 at 1:52 PM       1      
Status
Not open for further replies.
The popular multi-console emulator RetroArch can now be updated to version 1.3 for IOS, OSX, Windows, Linux, Android, Wii, Gamecube, PS3 (CEX, DEX and ODE) and PSP... plus some new systems including PS Vita / PS TV and 3DS!

Download: RetroArch-v1.3.0.zip (DEX) (439.8 MB) / RetroArch-v1.3.0-DEX.zip (Mirror) / RetroArch-v1.3.0-DEX.zip (Mirror #2) / RetroArch-v1.3.0-DEX.zip (Mirror #3) / UP0001-SSNE10000_00-0000000000000001.pkg (CEX) (165.60 MB) / UP0001-SSNE10000_00-0000000000000001.pkg (CEX) (Mirror) / RetroArch-v1.3.0-CEX.zip (Mirror #2) / RetroArch-v1.3.0-CEX.zip (Mirror #3) / RetroArch-v1.3.0-CEX.zip (Mirror #4) / RetroArch_v1.3_ODE.iso (ODE) (178.3 MB) / RetroArch-v1.3.0-DEX.zip / RetroArch-v1.3.0-DEX.zip / RetroArch-v1.3.0-DEX.zip / All Platforms

To quote in part from LibRetro.com: RetroArch 1.3 was just released for iOS, OSX, Windows, Linux, Android, Wii, Gamecube, PS3, PSP, PlayStation Vita and 3DS.

Once again the changelist is huge but we will run down some of the more important things we should mention:

Cores

Reicast (Dreamcast core)

We have ported Reicast over to the libretro API. This is a Sega Dreamcast emulator.

Supported platforms:

Right now, it runs on OSX, Windows, and Linux (64bit Intel only for now). Over the next coming days/weeks we will be porting it to Android and iOS as well and making it work for 32bit Intel too, so keep watching this space.

There were some improvements made over regular Reicast. Render To Texture features are enabled (they are disabled by default in Reicast), which means that certain effects like the heat room in Resident Evil: Code Veronica and the pause screen in Crazy Taxi render correctly. A bug got fixed which led to a bunch of sprite tile glitches in Capcom Vs SNK 2.

We added a workaround so that Marvel Vs Capcom 2 no longer crashes (by detecting the game and changing it on the fly to rec_cpp). We made the x64 dynarec work on OSX which wasn’t working before. We implemented a workaround for Soul Calibur (whitelisted for OSX/Linux only for now) that should prevent some of the Z-fighting.

Notes

1 – Reicast NEEDS BIOS files. You can run it without BIOS files but the success rate is so low that we really stress you always use it with bios files. The BIOS files go inside <system directory>/dc. If you have not set up a system directory, then it will look for a folder called ‘dc’ inside the same directory you loaded the ISO from.

2 – Make sure that ‘Shared Context Enable’ is enabled in RetroArch. To verify this, go to Settings -> Core -> HW Shared Context Enable and make sure it says ‘ON’. If you don’t do this, you might find that there are severe graphical glitches or that nothing even shows up at all.

3 – It should be stressed that the 64-bit dynarec for x86_64 is a lot slower than Reicast’s 32bit dynarec. Right now, the Reicast libretro core on PC is only available in 64bit form. When the 32bit version comes out, you might want to try it on a 32bit version of RetroArch too, it might give you a big speedup vs. the current 64bit version.

I fully intend on doing more work on Reicast once we have these releases out of the way.

PlayStation Vita/PlayStation TV version (NEW)

There is also a RetroArch version available now for PlayStation Vita and PlayStation TV. To use this, you need to use the (still quite impractical for daily usage) Rejuvenate jailbreak. No better jailbreaks are available as of this time, sorry. We will continue fleshing out this port for when a more mainstream jailbreak comes around.

PSP version

The PSP version has been updated. There are no big changes to mention for this port.

PlayStation3 (PS3)

The PS3 version features some big changes. MaterialUI and XMB are both available now as menu drivers. The XMB menu driver is now enabled by default. Libretro database support is in, and things should generally work fine.

I released only the DEX version (RetroArch.PS3.v1.3.0.FOR.DEX.PS3 - 461 MB). PS3 sceners can take the DEX release and create a CEX version of it.

RetroArch Improvements

Improved playlist support

Both PlayStation1 and PSP games can now be scanned. Once the games are scanned and identified inside the database, they are added to a system-specific playlist. This makes it easy and convenient for you to start these games by just going to the playlist and selecting them instead of having to go through the filesystem and manually select the file again.

Revamped user interface

There was a ton of criticism about version 1.2’s user interface on mobile devices, like Android. We have decided to give it a makeover. It now resembles a Material Design user interface and some of the annoying display bugs were fixed on Android. It now also has tabs at the bottom which you can touch. This can quickly take you to the playlists and/or settings screen.

XMB has also received a makeover. A bunch of actions now have their own tabs inside the horizontal menu. For instance, you can now scan for content by going to the ‘Add’ tab and selecting a directory instead of having to navigate through a bunch of menus. The history list is also now on a separate tab, as is the settings themselves.

RetroArch/libretro’s reach

We don’t like to brag a lot and we don’t like self posturing. Nevertheless, RetroArch and libretro is definitely starting to become omnipresent. Plenty of people have used it in some form or another without even being aware of its name or its existence. For instance, there have been plenty of projects unrelated to us or the team (like NewRetroArcade) which were actually just libretro frontends implementing the libretro API, and the popular Raspberry Pi distribution RetroPie for instance uses RetroArch for a lot of the videogame emulation it provides.

Not everything has gone according to plan. We had to do a very substantial rewrite this past year that has definitely been daunting and some of you noticed that things didn’t progress as fast as we’d like but we are finally out of development hell again and ready to fire on all cylinders again. There will never again be another half a year delay in development due to endless rewrites.

What’s next for RetroArch

RetroArch 1.4 (the next version) will bring RetroArch to two new platforms.

New platforms – tvOS/Windows Phone

There will be a tvOS port, and there will be a Windows Runtime (WinRT) port so that RetroArch can run on Windows Phones among other things. Those are the two big porting endeavors I will be busy with. I hope to get something substantial done by end of February/March, but don’t hold me to that.

There will be a new user interface as well added to the mix that will cater more to people used to point and click-based interfaces. We showed some screenshots before of the ‘Zarch’ interface we have been working on, and there is also a ‘Hexa’ user interface which might make it out of the prototype stages as well.

There will also be a lot of new cores. In fact, cores are being updated and added daily through the cor e updater, so definitely keep watching that space. You don’t have to wait for version 1.4 in order to be able to use these new cores.

Finally, from Ezio_PS: Looking at psx-place and in accordance with the passion PS3 users have in respect of RA, i'm feeling wrong to not share the CEX version of RA 1.3, so I'm just going to share it, anyway some annoying bugs and not working cores can happen (that's the reason why i didn't share it before). I guess people would like to take a look at new wonderful XMB gui, so here it's.
RetroArch.png

Comments

Cheers for the news @Radio I mainpaged it now! :cool:

I also added ya to our Authors page, if you want you can add whatever you wish to your profile (appears below all your articles) and a new thread with more RetroArch updates is located HERE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back