Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
PS3 Guides and Tutorials       Thread starter Self       9      
Status
Not open for further replies.

Self

Contributor
Self's Guide to using PS3Xploit on your 4.82 OFW PlayStation 3.

First off we need to know if the console is able to be modded. It needs to have a minimum firmware version of at least 3.55 or 3.56. You can check that by using this file here. It launches the way an update would so you will need to create a folder titled PS3 on the root.

Inside of that folder needs to be another folder titled UPDATE (yes all in caps) now put minverchk in that folder and make sure it is labeled ps3updat and the extension is .pup. Now go to your console and put the flash drive in the USB port closest to your Blu Ray Drive (BRD).

Go to System Update and select install from storage media. Run it as an update. It will pop up and say your minimum firmware version. If it is below 3.55/3.56, we can proceed with the tutorial. If it is not, go find an older phat model or a 20xx/21xx Slim if you want to be sure it is able to be jailbroken.

Minimum Version Check (MinVerChk) - MinVerChk.zip
  • All phat models are compatible.
  • Phat models A01 through G01 are NAND models. Everything else is NOR based.
  • Slim models 20xx and 21xx are compatible
  • Some Slim 25xx consoles will not be. Minverchk will need to be ran in order to verify as most people take the date codes off the bottom of the console. They're ugly. Lol.
  • Slim 3x console cannot be jailbroken
  • Super Slim 4x console (slide top models) cannot be jailbroken
Make sure the time and date on your console is correct!

I just fought with one for a good 10 minutes before realizing it was set to the year 2012. It kept failing to initialize the exploit both from USB 000/001 and even from HDD with dump.jpg present. Updated the time and date and it worked first try from USB 000. Just figured that should be added to avoid hair being pulled out.

First thing we want to do is make sure we are on 4.82 Original Firmware (OFW). If we are not. Go and update the firmware before starting. It will not work if you are on anything else. DO NOT DO THIS ON A CFW PS3!! Now that we are on 4.82 OFW, go ahead and disable automatic sign in for PSN if you have it set to sign in automatically. Next thing we want to do is plug in our FAT32 formatted flash drive to the USB port. Now you can go ahead and open up a web browser.

Now that the web browser is open on your PS3, type in ps3xploit in the search bar. Set this page as your home page. Now that it is set as your home page, close the web browser. Re open the browser and it should automatically pull up the page we want. This is to clear up a bit of memory since we are running on a live webkit.

Once we are at this website, go to the top right corner and hover over Flash Dumper. Go down and hover over Dump Flash to USB. Select which chip your console has (see above). Click on NAND or NOR and it will take you to a new page. It should already have your USB selected. If it is not selected, you will need to select it. 000 is the right port. 001 is the left port.

Click initialize exploitation. Once it is done initializing, it will pop up in green and say Exploit Initialization Success. If it fails it will say failed instead. It usually is a flash drive issue. Make sure your flash drive is compatible with the Ps3 by running minverchk. If it runs it, it is compatible. Power off your Ps3. Put the flash drive into your computer and format it to FAT32 with a 32k cluster size. Put it back into the Ps3 and power it on. Try again.

If you got a success message, go ahead and click Dump 16mb NOR to USB. It will pop up in red and say it is proceeding to dump the NOR to USB. This takes 5 to 10 minutes to do. Sometimes 15. If it takes longer than that, you can exit and retry. Once it is done it will pop up and say Flash Dump Completed and you should have your dump.hex on the flash drive. Check to see on your computer. Once you have your dump.hex, run PS3 Dump Checker on your computer so we can verify that our dump is good (latest build - https://github.com/Swizzy/PS3DumpChecker).

Open it up and click yes/no depending on if it asks if you read the terms or did not read the terms. Because it switches back and forth each time. Lol. Drag your dump.hex over to it and let it run. It will pop up in big green letters saying good if it passed. If it failed it will pop up in big red letters and say bad. If it is bad, do NOT proceed. Note down where it failed and try the dump process again. When the checker asks you if you would like to patch the dump, hit NO.

If you passed the dump check, go ahead and put flash_482.hex onto your flash drive right along side your dump.hex and plug it back into your Ps3. Open up your web browser again. Go to ps3xploit's website again and this time hover above Flash Writer and then hover above Write Flash from USB. Again, select NAND or NOR depending on your system.

Once on the next page, save it as your home page and then exit the browser again. Open the browser again and it should bring you up to the Flash Writer page. Select which USB port you are using if it is not automatically selected. Select initialize exploitation. This will also take a bit. Once done it will appear in green letters and say success. Now go ahead and hit Patch NOR memory. This takes a bit as well. Once done it will appear and say NOR Flash Memory Patch completed.

We are now ready for custom firmware (CFW) I recommend Rebug or the Rebug edit by ThiBobo which is 4.81.2 with syscons spoofed to 4.82. To install a CFW you just install it as if you would any normal firmware. Folder in all caps titled PS3 with UPDATE inside of it and then your CFW renamed to ps3updat with the .pup file extension.

Install via storage media using the right most USB port closest to the BRD.

Congratulations. Your PS3 is now jailbroken. If on Rebug you will need to download Rebug Toolbox.pkg from them and then go all the way to the right to Utilities and Toggle QA to enabled. This tutorial is officially over. Any questions just comment below! :)

That's awesome news! Glad to hear you used my tutorial and that it helped at least one person out so far. :)

For some reason I am not able to update this so could you add this in bold in between the last bullet point and the first thing we want to do paragraph? @PSXHAX

Make sure the time and date on your console is correct!

I just fought with one for a good 10 minutes before realizing it was set to the year 2012. It kept failing to initialize the exploit both from USB 000/001 and even from HDD with dump.jpg present. Updated the time and date and it worked first try from USB 000. Just figured that should be added to avoid hair being pulled out.

wonderful guide! However, I keep getting exploit failed and i've checked time as well as tried both usb ports. The console i'm working on is a 2001A slim and i've checked minver and it should work. I'm running in the USA, any tips or suggestions would be great, Thanks!

Try setting the dumper page as your home page. Might be a memory error. Once set as your homepage, just exit the browser, then open back up and retry. If it still doesn't work via USB, try the HDD method. If the HDD method does not work, we know it is going to be something on your end.

through the Flash Writer to usb process... every time after initialize exploitation success ...and i hit Patch memory... i get a freeze over and over..please help i use a fat model ps3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back