Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We've covered Upgrading a PS4 HDD, and beyond some Sasuke Crashes with the release of PS4 Firmware 4.50 Beta comes a guide on setting up a USB 3.0 external hard disk drive up to 8 Terabytes (TB) on PlayStation 4 Firmware 4.50 and above. :love:

Here are the PS4 External HDD Set Up Tutorial steps, to quote from the gurus at JustPushStart.com:

How To Use your External Hard Drive

To be able to use your external hard drive, make sure that the one you have is utilizes USB 3.0. You can either use the 3.5 External Hard Drive or those portable ones. In my case, I used Nyko’s Databank of the Xbox One to be the external hard drive of my PS4, equipped with an additional 1TB WD Green 3.5 hard drive.

Formatting your external hard drive is quite easy. Simply go to Settings and go to Devices. Under it, you’ll find USB Storage Devices.

Setting Up a USB 3.0 External HDD on PS4 Firmware 4.50 Guide 2.jpg

If you have multiple external hard drives hooked up on your PS4, find the ones you want to use. You’ll be then asked to format it.

Setting Up a USB 3.0 External HDD on PS4 Firmware 4.50 Guide 3.jpg

You’ll then go through the set-up process which is pretty quick.

Setting Up a USB 3.0 External HDD on PS4 Firmware 4.50 Guide 4.jpg

Once it’s done formatting, go back to the USB Storage Devices and you should see a green light icon beside the ones you formatted. If so, you are ready to use the hard drive!

Setting Up a USB 3.0 External HDD on PS4 Firmware 4.50 Guide 5.jpg

Now, you have the option to either use the hard drive you just formatted or simply keep installing applications on your internal storage until its full. To change the Applications Install location, simply highlight the hard drive of your choice, click the Options button from your DUALSHOCK 4 controller, and click confirm. You should see a text “Application Install Location” on the hard drive of your choice.

Please note that ONLY the applications and games are installed on the External Hard Drive. Save Datas and other internal files will be installed on the internal storage of your PS4.

Finally, from TheReverend210 comes confirmation that your external HDD can be formatted from inside the PS4 itself, to quote:

I've read a lot of posts with people saying "plug your external HDD into a laptop and format to exFAT" and whatnot, whereas with a bit of digging around in the menu's I found the PS4 will do this for you.

Simply go to Settings->Devices->External Storage->Format to External Storage. Took a couple of seconds to format mine from NTFS to a format appropriate for external storage.

I'm at work at the moment (working hard) so I can't post a screenshot, but I can do later if anyone needs one.

HPFBStI.jpg

DYBRMXz.jpg

Apologies, it's Settings->Devices->USB Storage Devices, then select the drive and the "stop using this storage" button SHOULD be "format to extended storage"

It seems, by utilising the options button, you can choose to format as exFAT or Extended Storage.
Setting Up a USB 3.0 External HDD on PS4 Firmware 4.50 Guide.jpg

Comments

That hdd will be married as an internal one, i guess.
But without "system" files, just like another partition.
No pc compatibility or something else.
Could it be cloned??

But if you install a games on the external hd... this file are crypted if I try to see on linux? and if i take this hd before installation and use another ps4... this recognize the game?

No 8tb internal hdd use? For the ones asking installing games on external and moving from 1 ps4 to another etc. ... try it and let us know ;)

But if you install a games on the external hd... this file are crypted if I try to see on linux? and if i take this hd before installation and use another ps4... this recognize the game?
Even on all Unix systems, certainly the PS4 format the HDD on his own file format like the internal HDD so no OS can see the content. It's not too easy, Sony are not stupid I think :p

This is a great feature if you ask me .... but I bet Sony made extra checks before implementing it, so this couldn't be used in a "wrong" way :)

No 8tb internal hdd use? For the ones asking installing games on external and moving from 1 ps4 to another etc. ... try it and let us know ;)

I have monster hunter world on my main ps4 on an external drive, Ill swap it over my 4.05 ps4 tonight and see what happens :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back