Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
Nintendo       Thread starter PSXHAX       Start date Sep 28, 2017 at 1:46 AM       10      
Status
Not open for further replies.
While the SNES Classic Edition won't be officially released until September 29th, retrogaming hackers on Reddit already confirmed that Hakchi2 can dump / write the SNES Mini's kernel as-is meaning it's essentially as hackable as the NES Classic Edition was jailbroken earlier this year! :bananaman14:

To quote from SpongeFreak52 on Reddit: Managed to get my Best Buy ordered SNES Mini shipped in this afternoon, so I was excited to start toying with it since it doesn't seem like others have yet.

After playing a few games, I wanted to see how it would behave when thrown at Hakchi2. To my surprise (though I guess I shouldn't have been given the hardware similarities), it CAN have its kernel dumped and re-written with it with the current version. I even threw a NES Mini kernel at it just for kicks (spoiler: nothing happens -- the power light just blinks) then reverted back to the SNES kernel with no issues.

For reference, the SNES Mini's stock kernel is 2,736,128 bytes, compared to the NES's 2,826,240 bytes.

Though I don't assume there's much else that can be done with existing tools at this point, I figured people would be interested to know that the recovery mode seems to behave the same as the NES Mini's.

UPDATE: Looks like full NAND-dumping capabilities are in working order -- a European dump has already even been confirmed bootable on an NES Mini! (credit to /u/madmonkey1907)

As a nice surprise, it looks like Nintendo fully anticipated this, and left a note for tinkerers within the NAND! Hidden within the /etc directory is a file simply named "nineties", which contains:
Code:
Enjoy this Mini,
Disconnect from the present, and
Go back to the nineties.
PS: Thank you guys for the gold! Be sure to send some towards those who actually know what they're doing with this thing though! :)

Thanks to @LightningMods for the news tip in the PSXHAX Shoutbox tonight! (y)
SNES Classic Edition Confirmed Hackable with Hakchi2 by Retrogamers.jpg

Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back