Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
PS4 Jailbreaking       Thread starter PSXHAX       Start date Oct 9, 2018 at 4:38 AM       44      
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back before running commercial PS4 games as package (PKG) files on retail PlayStation 4 jailbroken consoles was a 'thing' in the scene, PS4 gamesharing and PS4 modchips surfaced which led to some Russian sites selling modified PS4 consoles that blatantly included packs of pre-loaded and activated games ready to play. :LOL:

Fast-forward to 2018... Sony appears to finally be catching on, as according to mainstream media outlets Engadget.com, Kotaku.com and TorrentFreak.com Sony Interactive Entertainment recently filed a copyright infringement / DMCA lawsuit (sonycomp.pdf / Scribd Embed) against California hacker Eric David Scales (aka Blackcloak13) for selling jailbroken PS4 consoles loaded with bootleg games on both eBay and his own Website. :oops:

Here's an excerpt from the TorrentFreak article on the news, to quote: “Defendant is an individual who has marketed, sold, and distributed ‘jailbroken’ PS4 consoles that: (a) contain ‘p!rated’ (unauthorized) copies of PS4-compatible video games, and (b) were produced and designed for purposes of, and/or were marketed by Defendant for use in, circumventing technological protection measures,” the complaint reads.

Sony ordered two devices online and found that they were indeed ‘as advertised.’ The PS4s were modified to run an unnamed exploit which effectively circumvents the technological protection measures that normally prevent people from playing p!rated games.

“The exploit enables the PS4 console sold by Defendant to play the 60+ unauthorized copies of video games that are contained on its hard drive,” Sony writes.

With its lawsuit, Sony hopes to obtain an injunction ordering the defendant to stop any infringing activity and to destroy all jailbroken or “modded” PS4 consoles, hard drives, and games.

In addition, the game company requests damages for copyright infringement and for violating the DMCA by circumventing the PS4's technological protection measures.

To our knowledge, this is the first jailbroken PS4 lawsuit, and it's likely that Sony wants to set a clear example. With several first-party PS4 games being mentioned in the lawsuit, the potential damages run to hundreds of thousands of dollars.

:arrow: Update: According to the proposed default judgment (scales.pdf) and Sony's full memorandum (scales1.pdf) obtained by TorrentFreak.com, Sony Interactive Entertainment is now requesting $16,800 in damages from the California man (who failed to respond to the accusations) they accuse of selling jailbroken PS4 consoles filled with backup games for violating the DMCA's anti-circumvention provisions.

:arrow: Update #2: In a default judgment they now report the Federal Court sided with Sony, ruling (scalesorderdefault.pdf) that the man's activities violated the DMCA's anti-circumvention provisions.

As a result, the California man has been ordered to pay $16,800 in damages to Sony Interactive Entertainment for selling jailbroken PS4 consoles filled with copied games.

Sony Files Lawsuit Against Hacker Selling Jailbroken PS4 Consoles.jpg

Comments

Selling a jailbroken PS4 without any infringing software on it is one thing selling a "Fully Loaded" Jailbroken PS4 is something completely different and I am not surprised he got hit.

@droeboy17
Nah. It won affect the developer team anyway. Thats Ebay's rules.. Do not sell Jailbeak with backup games at all and thats about it. Sony doesn't care about the developer hacking PS4 anyway. They are focus on PS5 now.

@Shaundre
You are a COWARD!! Thats not very nice. He is only a human and he made a mistake and he is an idiot thats all. Must die ? YOU ARE A MURDERER! HAVE A RESPECT FOR HUMAN BEING. DIE IS NOT THE ANSWER. You are a COLD HEARTLESS! DISRESPECTFUL! Whats wrong with you ?

@Jlanders lol giving away “60+ back ups” would not afford him any leniency from Sony’s lawyers.

Either way it’s copying and not paying for intellectual properties... he was a p!rate.

“Preloaded” could be paid for games downloaded to an account that’s still on the console.

Wording like: “Backups”, “never pay for games again” and methods to download them are the main issue.

Wow... we know this isnt a crime, it's just Sony invading privacy of others selling their crap to us, and then we hack crap and they get mad about it, fck em, who sold their crap to us in the first place, if one hacker is dead there are a ton of hackers out there still, so the war will never end, PS5... YOU ARE NEXT

What the hell, you accuse this guy as a biggest criminal ever. It's not I'm supporting his behaviour but guy was just trying to make a little money for the work he put into jailbreaking consoles and putting few games on it. It's not the end of the world. There are far worse things going on on our planet than copying a few games.

It wont stop devs from working and releasing homebrew. This guy is being made a example because of anti government slogans for the people bs on his website read it...he was selling games SONY has every rite to sue his ass.. downloaders are not stealing there sharing files of a bought game to us who circumvented are systems to be able to enjoy.

Buying games will never die amongst p!rates i have like 4 games still wrapped lol not including 25 games. I love being able to test a full game and if its not complete garbage i buy... i wish i did that prior to just cause 3 ps4... skyrim ps3... there's tons of examples of gamers who purchase there games get burned with half ass early release garbage.

I wanted my system modding because i hated switching discs its 2018 lmfao we shouldnt need to keep switching discs ...installable games from disc without need of re using disc should b3 a option to gamers... people with kids ...lazy roommates who leave the discs outside of the case.

im all for someone getting sued for making money off warez. That crap isnt cool at all. Some may state there's no diff between the two but there clearly is and that's why your seeing sony aggressively going after this guy....

The first Nhl game on ps4 didnt even have a season mode option ffs lmfao like there's another example ughhh i loathe ea wish 2ksports would do another hockey game and a bellator mma game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back