Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
PS4 Jailbreaking       Thread starter PSXHAX       Start date Oct 9, 2018 at 4:38 AM       44      
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back before running commercial PS4 games as package (PKG) files on retail PlayStation 4 jailbroken consoles was a 'thing' in the scene, PS4 gamesharing and PS4 modchips surfaced which led to some Russian sites selling modified PS4 consoles that blatantly included packs of pre-loaded and activated games ready to play. :LOL:

Fast-forward to 2018... Sony appears to finally be catching on, as according to mainstream media outlets Engadget.com, Kotaku.com and TorrentFreak.com Sony Interactive Entertainment recently filed a copyright infringement / DMCA lawsuit (sonycomp.pdf / Scribd Embed) against California hacker Eric David Scales (aka Blackcloak13) for selling jailbroken PS4 consoles loaded with bootleg games on both eBay and his own Website. :oops:

Here's an excerpt from the TorrentFreak article on the news, to quote: “Defendant is an individual who has marketed, sold, and distributed ‘jailbroken’ PS4 consoles that: (a) contain ‘p!rated’ (unauthorized) copies of PS4-compatible video games, and (b) were produced and designed for purposes of, and/or were marketed by Defendant for use in, circumventing technological protection measures,” the complaint reads.

Sony ordered two devices online and found that they were indeed ‘as advertised.’ The PS4s were modified to run an unnamed exploit which effectively circumvents the technological protection measures that normally prevent people from playing p!rated games.

“The exploit enables the PS4 console sold by Defendant to play the 60+ unauthorized copies of video games that are contained on its hard drive,” Sony writes.

With its lawsuit, Sony hopes to obtain an injunction ordering the defendant to stop any infringing activity and to destroy all jailbroken or “modded” PS4 consoles, hard drives, and games.

In addition, the game company requests damages for copyright infringement and for violating the DMCA by circumventing the PS4's technological protection measures.

To our knowledge, this is the first jailbroken PS4 lawsuit, and it's likely that Sony wants to set a clear example. With several first-party PS4 games being mentioned in the lawsuit, the potential damages run to hundreds of thousands of dollars.

:arrow: Update: According to the proposed default judgment (scales.pdf) and Sony's full memorandum (scales1.pdf) obtained by TorrentFreak.com, Sony Interactive Entertainment is now requesting $16,800 in damages from the California man (who failed to respond to the accusations) they accuse of selling jailbroken PS4 consoles filled with backup games for violating the DMCA's anti-circumvention provisions.

:arrow: Update #2: In a default judgment they now report the Federal Court sided with Sony, ruling (scalesorderdefault.pdf) that the man's activities violated the DMCA's anti-circumvention provisions.

As a result, the California man has been ordered to pay $16,800 in damages to Sony Interactive Entertainment for selling jailbroken PS4 consoles filled with copied games.

Sony Files Lawsuit Against Hacker Selling Jailbroken PS4 Consoles.jpg

Comments

I'm all for jailbreaking and modding and stuff, but really, when you're out there selling lots of backup software like this? Nah, I side with Sony on this one.

Normal to be sued if you are so stupid to advertise a modded console for sale, the thing that I do not understand is how he did publish a listing on ebay, a platform with many rules, writing clearly what he proposed, incredible.

I also use ebay often where I sold some ps4 (I had 5 maybe too many) describing only the firmware version, if by chance in the description I wrote only the word modded, immediately the advert was not publishable, so how did this stupid boy for me is a mystery.

Life teaches us that those who grow rich, especially with the work of others, will never have any good. If you want to make some money with the consoles, limited to keep them without updating the firmware, nobody will ever denounce you if you resell an outdated console, not be greedy and above all do not enrich yourself with the work of others, thanks who makes you play for free and if you can give money to those who allow you to do it.

I had one for sale in Australia on Ebay. They removed it before ending. It was a console surplus to my needs. Whats so wrong about selling. Price was similar to a used console. Games were on there but didnt add to the price. SONY lost, now they cry to the courts

We all know the greed was the cause of his disgrace. The bad thing is those events have a direct repercussion on the whole community. This is just an advice for both parts (Sony & PS4 Scene Devs) and a reminder of we need to do the things right to avoid sad news like this one. Developers are doing an exceptional work and they are being paid with support and recognition, no profit.

Well I did buy my 5.05 Uncharted Ed on Ebay a month ago and the seller stated in the description he had 70 games installed on his his 4TB internal, so I guess he dodged a bullet thanks to me. He didn't blatantly advertise it on the title tho. I can see this having an impact on selling JB PS4's on Ebay then again sellers will need to be smarter and just put 5.05 PS4 instead

Bastard trying to make money by using developer's work & free torrents with free PS4 games! So - no pity for him! In Russia greedy sellers also make money on consoles with 5.05/5.07 FW, its for sure expensive! But its better way, when pay horrible prices for licensed PS4 games!!! :)

Ive sold dozens of 5.05 consoles. However, that's all that I sold them as: old consoles. If you know what 5.05 signifies then good luck to you. If you don't then you would be confused at the inflated price.

Profiteering? Not really. The consumer will pay more for this version so I charge more.

If I jailbroke them or put games and then charged even more then I would've been looking for trouble. Over a few dollars. Not worth it.

But ultimately we have different laws in Australia regarding copying games and mod chipping. But that doesn't negate eBay policies. Which explicitly say you can't sell such things.

Lol he should have just sold 1.76, 4.05 5.05, and 5.07 consoles. Selling hacked consoles in itself isn't illegal but with backup games is just plain stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back