Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
PS3 News       Thread starter PSXHAX       Start date Jun 21, 2016 at 8:53 PM       5      
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today ArsTechnica.com confirms news of a proposed settlement in the PS3 Linux Class Action Lawsuit where Sony agrees to pay gamers up to $55 each for their Firmware 3.21 update's OtherOS removal that rendered Linux inoperable on the PlayStation 3 entertainment system.

This news comes after Sony apologized for the OtherOS removal blaming backups concerns and later contradicting themselves stating it was due to cost and not security issues. :rolleyes:

To quote: "Under the terms of the accord, (PDF) which has not been approved by a California federal judge yet, gamers are eligible to receive $55 if they used Linux on the console. The proposed settlement, which will be vetted by a judge next month, also provides $9 to each console owner that bought a PS3 based on Sony's claims about "Other OS" functionality.

While the deal still needs a judge's signature, here's what the settlement says about how gamers can get their cash:

To get the $55, a gamer "must attest under oath to their purchase of the product and installation of Linux, provide proof of their purchase or serial number and PlayStation Network Sign-in ID, and submit some proof of their use of the Other OS functionality." To get the $9, PS3 owners must submit a claim that, at the time they bought their console, they "knew about the Other OS, relied upon the Other OS functionality, and intended to use the Other OS functionality."

Alternatively, according to the deal, to get $9, a gamer "may attest that he or she lost value and/or desired functionality or was otherwise injured as a consequence of Firmware Update 3.21 issued on April 1, 2010."

In the meantime, relentless PlayStation 3 hackers have managed to still get Linux back on PS3 Firmware 3.41 and even the PS3 Slim without Sony's help. :p

Is anyone here going to collect their $ony money? :D I may go for the $9 option, as I no longer have my PS3's proof-of-purchase nor serial number.

Also below are some RSX GPU hardware acceleration in OtherOS++ PS3 Linux video demos from ReneRebe (Blog / Patreon / Twitter) for those interested:

Running PS3 PPC64 Linux in GameOS w/ FULL ACCESS RIGHTS!

PS3/Linux NVidia RSX HW accelerated X working again!
And from zecoxao / 3141card come an LV1 and LV2 IDA databases by picard (4.46 Rebug) alongside some 4.55 64% symbols database script by picard via zecoxao / 3141card also:

Download: PS3_RE.7z (13.96 MB) / PS2_emu.7z (12.53 MB) / ps2_netemu.7z (5.56 MB) / 455_64_percent.7z (2.99 MB) / 455.elf (18.41 MB)

Also from sguerrini97 comes details on mounting PS3 HDD's on newer Linux kernels, to quote:

Hi there. Recently i wanted to mount my PS3 hdd on my linux PC and I had some headache trying to port glevand's dm-bswap16 to newer kernels.

Eventually I gave up with the kernel module and I started looking for something else, in the end I bumped into Network Block Devices.

I forked nbdcpp from dsroche on github and I replicated the behavior of the glevand's kernel module by swapping bytes every 16 bit words.

Please keep in mind that this code has not been tested deeply, if you care about your data make a backup of your hard drive before using the tool.

Useful informations (keys and fat/slim differences):

Spoiler

You can find my fork here: https://github.com/sguerrini97/nbdcpp
Code:
git clone https://github.com/sguerrini97/nbdcpp

cd nbdcpp

make bswap16
To mount ps3 hdd (slim console, /dev/sdc is the ps3 hdd, run as root):
Code:
./makedev bswap16 /dev/sdc
cryptsetup create -c aes-xts-plain64 -d ./hdd_key.bin -s 256 ps3hdd_crypt /dev/nbd0
kpartx -a /dev/mapper/ps3hdd_crypt
mount -t ufs -o ufstype=ufs2,ro /dev/mapper/ps3hdd_crypt2 /mnt
To safely remove ps3 hdd (run as root):
Code:
umount /mnt
kpartx -d /dev/mapper/ps3hdd_crypt
cryptsetup remove ps3hdd_crypt
./stop-nbd0
Mounting PS3 HDD on new linux kernels
In case you need to mount vflash (slim console, run as root)
Code:
cryptsetup create -c aes-xts-plain64 -d ./vflash_key.bin -s 256 -p 8 vflash_crypt /dev/mapper/ps3hdd_crypt1
kpartx -a /dev/mapper/vflash_crypt
mount /dev/mapper/vflash_crypt2 /mnt/dev_flash
mount /dev/mapper/vflash_crypt3 /mnt/dev_flash2
mount /dev/mapper/vflash_crypt4 /mnt/dev_flash3

# do your stuff ...

umount /mnt/dev_hdd0
umount /mnt/dev_flash
umount /mnt/dev_flash2
umount /mnt/dev_flash3
kpartx -d /dev/mapper/vflash_crypt
cryptsetup remove vflash_crypt
Finally we get ps2_netemu 0x0B command replacement for PS4!
Code:
emuMediaPatch(0xsector_in_hex, 12 + 0xoffset, { 0xoriginal_opcode }, { 0xreplace_opcode })
And we are ready to go. ;)

Spoiler: Video Demos

Test on a DECR-1000 please, 3.55 OtherOS++ DECR with lv2 peek/poke.

Download: ReneOtherOSPLUSPLUSDECR.PUP (138.48 MB)

Thanks @mcmrc1 in the Shoutbox for the news on this PS3 Linux settlement. :)
Sony PS3 Linux Class Action Settlement.jpg

Comments

Whats funny about this is that there was a lawsuit a couple of years ago for the Vita system and I received an email but never did hear anything back from it. Recipients could choose from a PSN Voucher towards future game purchases or a reimbursement in some way.

I'm curious to see how this will play out. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back