Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
PS4 News       Thread starter PSXHAX       Start date Mar 23, 2021 at 12:50 AM       32      
Status
Not open for further replies.
Earlier this month Sony announced that PlayStation Store is Discontinuing Movie and TV Rental Sales on August 31st, and according to Internet reports it's rumored they plan to close PlayStation Store for PS3 and PSP on July 2nd and for PS Vita on August 27th, 2021. :nolove:

To quote from TheGamer.com on this disheartening yet inevitable PS Store news:

"The PS3, PS Vita, and PlayStation Portable stores aren't long for this world. According to a source familiar with the situation (verified by TheGamer), the stores are due to be closed down from July. The announcement is planned for the end of this month.

PSP's and PS3's stores are to be closed on July 2, while the PS Vita store will stay open until August 27. After those dates, you will no longer be able to purchase digital copies of games or DLC for any of the Sony consoles mentioned above.

If you own any of the three consoles and you've always wanted to download a specific game, now is the time. No doubt the price of physical games will jump up once the stores cease to exist."

While numerous mainstream media sites including Eurogamer, GameInformer, GamesRadar, Gizmodo and Polygon have reached out to Sony for comment, none have received additional details nor confirmation thus far... we'll update this article as further information is available.

:arrow: Update: It's official, from Sony's official page to quote: Discontinued PlayStation apps, features and services

Find out which features are no longer available on your PlayStation console.

We are closing PlayStation Store on PlayStation 3 consoles on 2nd July 2021 and on PlayStation Vita devices on 27th August 2021. Additionally, the remaining purchase functionality for PSP (PlayStation Portable) will also retire on 2nd July 2021.

What features can I use after the closure of PlayStation Store and purchase functionality on PS3, PS Vita and PSP devices?

Features you will still be able to access:
  • You will still be able to re-download and play previously purchased game titles.
  • You will still be able to access previously purchased video/media content.
  • You will still be able to redeem game and PlayStation Plus vouchers.
  • You will still be able to re-download and play claimed game titles through PlayStation Plus as long as you remain a member of the service.
Features you will lose access to:
  • You will no longer be able to purchase PS3, PS Vita and PSP digital content, including games and video content.
  • You will no longer be able to make in-game purchases through games on PS3, PS Vita and PSP.
  • You will no longer be able to redeem PSN wallet fund vouchers (e.g. gift cards) on PS3, PS Vita or PSP devices once PlayStation Store and purchase functionality for these devices close. Your PSN wallet funds will remain in your PSN account, but you will only be able to use your wallet funds to purchase PS4 and PS5 products on PlayStation Store on the web, PlayStation App or on PS4 and PS5 consoles.
How do I access my owned games?

You can download your owned content onto your PS3, PS Vita or PSP device by accessing the Download List on the respective device.

I am only active on PS3, PS Vita or PSP devices, and do not currently own a PS4 or PS5. What will happen to any funds left in my PSN wallet after the closure of the PlayStation Store for these devices?

Your PSN wallet funds will remain in your PSN account, but you will only be able to use your wallet funds to purchase PS4 and PS5 products on PlayStation Store on the web, PlayStation App or on PS4 and PS5 consoles. If you are only active on a PS3, PS Vita or PSP device, don't use a PS4 or PS5 console, and don't plan on using one, you may request a refund of any funds left in your wallet.

We recommend that if you plan to top up your wallet prior to the store closures, you only top up by the minimum amount required to buy the desired content. We will be updating this page with more details on how to request such a refund.

Will I still be able to purchase cross-buy content following the closure of PlayStation Store and purchase functionality on PS3, PS Vita and PSP?

Yes, you will still be able to purchase cross-buy content through PlayStation Store on the web, PlayStation App, or on PS4 and PS5 consoles and access both the PS4 version and the PS3/PS Vita/PSP versions.

Will the closure of PlayStation Store and purchase functionality on PS3, PS Vita and PSP devices have any impact on my PlayStation Plus membership or PlayStation Now subscription?

No, this will have no impact on users' existing PlayStation Plus membership or PlayStation Now subscription.

Will the closure of PlayStation Store and purchase functionality on PS3, PS Vita and PSP devices have any impact on titles that I've claimed through my PlayStation Plus membership?

No, you will still be able to re-download and play claimed game titles through PlayStation Plus as long as you remain a member of the service.

Will I still be able to redeem vouchers on PS3, PS Vita and PSP devices following the closure of PlayStation Store and purchase functionality?
  • You will still be able to redeem game and PlayStation Plus vouchers on PS3, PS Vita and PSP devices once PlayStation Store and purchase functionality for these devices close.
  • You will no longer be able to redeem PSN wallet fund vouchers (e.g. gift cards) on PS3, PS Vita or PSP devices once PlayStation Store and purchase functionality for these devices close.
  • Your PSN wallet funds will remain in your PSN account, but you will only be able to use your wallet funds to purchase PS4 and PS5 products on PlayStation Store on the web, PlayStation App or on PS4 and PS5 consoles.
Will I still be able to download owned video content following the closure of PlayStation Store and purchase functionality on PS3, PS Vita and PSP devices?

Yes, you will still be able to download and stream owned video content following the closure of PlayStation Store and purchase functionality on PS3, PS Vita and PSP devices. Video content that you own can be streamed on PS3, PS4 or PS5 through the My Videos app, or on mobile devices through the PlayStation Video app.
Sony Rumored to Close PlayStation Store for PS3, PS Vita & PSP This Summer.jpg

Comments

What's really sad is even some of the Physical games won't work someday that require a PSN sign-in like Friday the 13th.

@jwooh
but you can always use backups of the games that were not released on disc.

we can delete the psn sign in files for such games, something similar that is done earlier for youtube, netflix (the non psn versions for jailbroken consoles), IF THAT IS POSSIBLE.

My level of anger about this will be determined by whether they allow users to download purchases after the shutdown. I assume they will but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back