Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
PS5 News       Thread starter PSXHAX       Start date Dec 21, 2022 at 9:47 PM       9      
Status
Not open for further replies.
Earlier this year the DualSense Edge PS5 Wireless Controller was announced, followed by Pre-order Details & Launch Date including a Chance to Win a DualSense Edge with Sony now featuring a PlayStation 5 Edge Wireless Controller hands-on offering key takeaways plus a behind-the-scenes look at the design story in the video below. 🎮

Here's further DualSense Edge Wireless Controller details for those in the PS5Scene from SIE Content Communications Manager Tim Turi, to quote:

High-quality case

The DualSense Edge controller comes with a sleek and sturdy shell-like case to keep your controller and its accessories safe and organized. One nice touch is the removable flap where the included braided USB charging cable can fit, allowing you to charge the controller while nestled within its case.

Familiar form factor

The controller feels immediately familiar since PlayStation engineers set out to match the original DualSense controller’s shape and size. Close inspection of the DualSense Edge controller reveals subtle examples of its premium build quality, such as increased surface area for the grippy white plastic around the handles and extra texture on the touchpad and triggers.

Adjustable trigger length

Players can adjust the length of the triggers with built-in switches for both R2 and L2 buttons. This makes on-the-fly customization easy, without needing to adjust any controller profile settings. One example from my time included jumping from God of War Ragnarok, where I wanted full range of the R2 button, to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II, where clicking into a shorter trigger length helped me shoot faster.

Switchable stick capsThe DualSense Edge controller features three sets of stick caps that make quick customization easy. The two standard caps the same as the DualSense controller’s snappy sticks, while the sets of high and low dome caps offer a satisfying concave feel. I appreciated being able to swap in a high dome cap on the right analog stick, which provided a greater degree of finesse when taking aim in Call of Duty or Apex Legends.

Back button versatility

The DualSense Edge controller also features optional back buttons. The lever back buttons offer a longer, flatter form factor that’s quick to activate. The half dome back buttons feature a low profile and precise feel. They open up new options for button configurations, and once I acclimated to the new inputs I felt like a nimble powerhouse. One example includes…

God of War Ragnarok

Assigning the dodge button to the left back button and Kratos’ Leviathan Axe retrieval/elemental attack charging to the right back button let me keep my thumb on the right stick and control the camera during every moment of combat. I reduced the length of the left trigger to speed up aiming ranged attacks but kept the right trigger at default to feel the adaptive triggers’ immersive magic during melee combat. The result was so satisfying I’m already planning my second playthrough of Santa Monica Studio’s stunning sequel after the DualSense Edge controller launches.

Customizable controller profiles

The options for optimizing your playstyle extend beyond the accessories and trigger adjustments to customizable controller profiles. A slick tutorial automatically pops up when you first plug your controller into the PS5 console. Some of the robust additional options include:
  • Up to 3 profiles stored on the controller itself
  • Custom button assignments (e.g. to set up an FPS profile, driving profile, action-game profile, etc.)
  • Stick sensitivity and deadzone tuning
  • Trigger deadzone tuning
  • Vibration intensity
  • Trigger effect intensity
Preset profiles for stick sensitivity

Diverse preset profiles for adjusting stick sensitivity offer a gentle onramp for players who may not want to dive into the deep end of customization out of the gate. Here’s what the system settings described (subject to change):
  • Quick – The amount of registered input accelerates as you tilt the stick. Good for making quick movements. Gain the upper hand by quickly aiming in fast-paced shooters.
  • Precise – Minimum input is registered when you tilt the stick. Good for making precise movements. Fans of shooting games may find the ability to aim slowly and accurately helpful.
  • Steady – Registered input is limited even if you tilt the stick far. Enables smooth and stable movement. Ideal for when you need to move smoothly in action games.
  • Digital – Tilting the stick even slightly will register nearly maximum input. Functions like the direction buttons on the controller. Get instant input reaction for your fighting and action games
  • Dynamic – Registered input is limited when you tilt the stick slightly or far but accelerates in the middle range. Enables versatile gameplay in shooting games where you may need to aim carefully but also turn quickly
Function buttons

These two buttons are positioned below the thumb sticks, providing easy access for a DualSense Edge controller-specific menu that pops up whenever pressed, whether in game or in system menus. These buttons make it easy to snap between profiles, adjust headset volume, game/party chat audio balance, and more.

The option to quickly jump directly into the controller profile menu after a couple quick button presses is crucial, allowing you to make quick adjustments without disrupting gameplay. The experience reminded me of jumping into edit weapon loadouts while waiting to respawn in Call of Duty. Speaking of...

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II

The function buttons stood out when hopping into a Modern Warfare II match. I immediately realized I had the controller profile still set up for God of War Ragnarok, but thanks to the on-controller trigger switches I quickly adjusted them to a shorter length for snappier aiming and shooting.

Following that, I used the function buttons to quickly swap to a profile I set up using the “Quick” preset as a base. I assigned jump to the left back button and crouch/slide to the right back button, letting me smoothly control my movement across the map while keeping my thumbs poised for a firefight. I also swapped the high dome cap in for the right analog stick, providing a greater degree of control while taking aim.

Heading into my hands-on experience with the DualSense Edge controller, I expected to be impressed by top-quality engineering and cool physical controller customization options. What surprised me was the intuitive on-console tutorial and frictionless menu navigation thanks to the function buttons.

Whether you’re a competitive player looking for every edge, or simply interested in maximizing your gameplay options in your favorite games, the DualSense Edge controller is poised to deliver when it releases January 26, 2023.

DualSense Edge - Design Story | PS5

:arrow: Update: From Sony Lead Product Manager Tomomasa Mizuno on DualSense Edge's launch day, to quote:

As an FPS fan, my setup for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II focuses on precise aim, customized loadouts, and team communication:
  • Changeable stick caps and stick sensitivity: I swap out my right stick cap with the High Dome stick cap and pair it with the Precise stick sensitivity preset curve for smoother, more precise aiming.
  • L2/R2 stop sliders: I typically set the stop sliders on both the L2 and R2 buttons to the Short or Medium setting for quicker reaction to enemy encounters.
  • Back buttons and button mapping: I’ve found it helpful for my own playstyle to map the back buttons to actions like jumping or swapping loadouts, so I can keep my thumbs on the sticks during tense moments.
  • Fn buttons: When communicating with my team, I often use the Fn buttons to adjust the audio balance between the game and chat, so I can alternate between callouts and listening for the enemy team’s movements.
When playing action titles like God of War Ragnarok, I adjust my custom profile to ensure that I have key moves at my fingertips:
  • Adjustable stick sensitivity: The Quick preset curve is my preferred stick sensitivity setting for the left and right sticks for fast camera adjustments, movement, and aiming. Occasionally, I swap to a Dynamic preset curve while in-game for sequences where I need to aim carefully and also turn quickly.
  • Back buttons and button mapping: I swap to the Half Dome back buttons as they work well with how I typically grip the controller, allowing me to quickly dodge or recall my axe while simultaneously moving around the map and keeping an eye on enemies.
When loading into FIFA 23, my focus is on setting up for skill moves and quick maneuvers:
  • Adjustable stick sensitivity: I set up my custom profile to use the Digital preset curve for the right stick, which makes it easier for me to use skill moves.
  • L2/R2 stop sliders and trigger dead zones: I adjust the trigger dead zones in addition to changing the stop sliders to the Short setting – combining both of these adjustments makes it even quicker for me to activate the L2 and R2 buttons to sprint or shield.
  • Back buttons and button mapping: I have my two back buttons assigned to shoot and pass, so I can also do a skill move while navigating the field.
PS5 DualSense Edge Wireless Controller Unboxing
DualSense Edge Developer Experience - Marvel's Spider-Man 2 | PS5
DualSense Edge Developer Series - NBA 2K24 | PS5
DualSense Edge - God of War Ragnarok Developer Experience | PS5
DualSense Edge - FIFA 23 Developer Experience | PS5
DualSense Edge - Destiny 2 Developer Experience | PS5
Sony's DualSense Edge Wireless PS5 Controller Hands-on & Key Takeaways.png

Comments

Cool idea, overpriced and incorrect conversion. The battery is said to be extremely bad, of course if you don't have a problem with it, since you play with a cable then it's okay, but I find it easy overpriced. When it's on the market a bit and cheaper, I'll buy it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back