Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
PS4 News       Thread starter PSXHAX       Start date Jun 14, 2017 at 6:00 AM       8      
Status
Not open for further replies.
Beyond unveiling the XBox One X at E3 2017, Microsoft announced that cross-platform play is coming to Minecraft on XBox One while Nintendo also confirmed that Rocket League will be getting it on the Switch.

This news leaves many PlayStation 4 gamers wondering if Sony will follow suit, and according to PlayStation global sales and marketing head Jim Ryan in a brief Eurogamer exchange the answer is not at the moment. :confused:

Here is their current reasoning why, to quote: "We've got to be mindful of our responsibility to our install base. Minecraft - the demographic playing that, you know as well as I do, it's all ages but it's also very young.

We have a contract with the people who go online with us, that we look after them and they are within the PlayStation curated universe. Exposing what in many cases are children to external influences we have no ability to manage or look after, it's something we have to think about very carefully.

Everybody has to take their own decisions. We'll do that. Like I say, we have no philosophical stance against cross-play at all.

I don't think anything is ever a done deal. Anybody who is dogmatic in that manner is typically a fool. That said, to my knowledge, there is no live conversation ongoing at the moment."

Sony's Stance on PS4 Cross-Play with Xbox One and Nintendo Switch.jpg

Comments

We have a contract with the people who go online with us, that we look after them and they are within the PlayStation curated universe. Exposing what in many cases are children to external influences we have no ability to manage or look after, it's something we have to think about very carefully.
What a big fat pile of Bullsh!t! Now XBOX became XVIDEOS! I mean Really Sony...?

I thought Nintendo would have been more concerned than Sony about that since they're primarily geared towards a younger crowd. Go figure. :confused:

I thought Nintendo would have been more concerned than Sony about that since they're primarily geared towards a younger crowd. Go figure. :confused:
It was a bs answer that I think threw him off after the interviewer mentioned Nintendo is doing cross play. He must have not heard the news and that was his prepared statement before hand

is that why PS' Parental control is broken for many many years now?

Microsoft is even calling Sony out on their reasoning heh: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-e3-2017-sonys-reasoning-for-blocking-cro/1100-6450966/
Xbox boss Phil Spencer responded to Ryan's comments, though he did not mention him by name. He said the dialogue that Ryan engaged in is unhealthy for the industry overall, and took issue with his suggestion that Microsoft doesn't do enough to keep users safe.

"I would love for players on all platforms to stay connected," Spencer said. "The fact that somebody would make an assertion that somehow we're not keeping Minecraft players safe ... I found, not only from a Microsoft perspective but an industry perspective, I don't know why that has to become the dialogue.

That doesn't seem healthy for anyone. We can always do better with anything we do. I find the whole discussion around safety with our game and that somehow we wouldn't take that as a top priority … and frankly, through our parental controls on Xbox Live and everything else that we've done, shown that that's incredible important to us as a platform."

All of that being said, Spencer said "the door is open" to working with Sony on cross-play. He added that safety is "incredibly important" for Microsoft's team. "We would never put Minecraft in a place where we felt like we weren't keeping our players safe," he explained.

I doubt it would happen but maybe they could strike up another ToS with microsoft kinda thing wouldn't be hard but it would be pretty nice to go and play with some old friends i used to play xbox with and used to go to school with that just don't have a ps4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back