Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Following the Persona 5 / Persona 5 Royal PS4 Game Patches, recently ooa113y's Github repository was updated with a Umineko Catbox (UCE) English PS4 Translation Patch that is a work-in-progress (WIP) and has not been tested with the pricey region-free Japanese PS4 game currently selling for $63.23 on eBay used, $89.27 on eBay new and up to $121.74 on Amazon. 🙀

Download: patch.zip (includes patch.rom) / GIT

Based on a rough translation from entergram_info, an Official Site for the PS4 / Nintendo Switch version of the Umineko no Naku Koro ni Saki - Cat Box and Dream Symphony game is online for those interested with the following description:

The last answer cannot be seen without love. Mass murder in a Western-style building on an isolated island October 4, 1986. On that day, 'sacrifice' was arranged on the island.

:idea: If anyone in the PS4 Scene has access to this title, feel free to test out the work-in-progress Umineko Catbox (UCE) English PS4 Patch above and share your results... or better yet, a pre-patched PS4 FPKG once Verified. ;)

From the README.md: English patch for Umineko Catbox (UCE)

Project description

This is an English patch for Umineko When They Cry: The Symphony of Catbox and Dreams, the console version of Umineko on PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch.

This patch is meant to be used on the actual console releases of the game. It is not a standalone application.

Credits

This patch would be impossible without the assistance of the following projects:
  • kaleido by Neurochitin, which can decompile and recompile the SNR script format used by the game, as well as generate the patch.rom files that can be used to replace files in the base game.
  • enter_extractor by TellowKrinkle, which can extract files from the base game's data.rom format, as well as generate pic and txa files used to store the game's images.
  • HigurashiENX by MasaGratoR, which is a similar translation patch for the Switch version of Higurashi. Specifically, the IPS patch generation scripts from that project were used to translate some of the text hardcoded into the executables of the game.
  • Umineko Project, a similar translation work done for the PS3 version of Umineko, which serves as the base for the translated script and images used in the patch.
  • The original translation of the PC version of Umineko by The Witch Hunt. While their work isn't being used directly, without these people Umineko would have never made it to the West in any form at all.
  • And, of course, the game itself, created by 07th-Expansion and producted (sic) by Entergram. Please buy the game on the eShop or PSN to support the creators.
    • Please do not buy the version of the game that is available on Steam, as it won't support Entergram whatsoever since they had no involvement with that release. This version is also not compatible with this patch in any way, and is significantly inferior to the console releases (no voice acting, worse visuals, worse UI, missing content).
Progress

The final goal of the patch is to translate the entire game into English, including all of the new content. However, it is currently a work in progress, and it will take quite a bit of time until that goal is reached.

Currently, the "main" content (stuff that was present in all previous releases of Umineko, i.e. Episodes 1-8) has been translated, however, only EPs 1-2 have been thoroughly tested so far.

Your experience with the untested episodes may range from encountering a couple of untranslated sentences here and there to outright crashes. Of course, I am working on testing and fixing the remaining episodes.

Bonus content (Tsubasa, Hane and the new Saku-exclusive stories) has not been touched at all yet. For now, it is fully in Japanese. I will get around to it when the main EPs are done.

A more detailed list of items that are being worked on can be found here.

Applying the patch

On Sony PlayStation 4 and 5

Applying the patch on these platforms is theoretically possible, though only partially: only the patch.rom can be used. Unfortunately, this means that the tips menu will not work correctly, and the minigame in Episode 8 will remain in Japanese: those things require exefs modifications, and I have no idea how to implement something similar for the PS4 version of the game.

Additionally, I have not tested the patch on these consoles, nor do I actually have any idea how to install it. If you have some sort of instructions I could put here, please let me know.

In short -- it might work, maybe, sort of, but no promises whatsoever. I strongly recommend using the Switch version of the game instead.
Umineko Catbox (UCE) English PS4 Patch Work-In-Progress via Ooa113y.jpg

Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back