Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
PS3 Jailbreaking       Thread starter reminon       8      
Status
Not open for further replies.

reminon

Contributor
Picked up a ceche01 at a local thrift shop for $10 bucks, came with a working ds3 and everything.

Upon turning it on, everything seemed fine, fans were quiet, and got audio/video through hdmi. After about 30-45 second of being on xmb, the fans crank up to full blast, it gives a notification that the system is overheating, and shuts off with a blinking red light.

The exhaust air on the back is still cold, and the console came without screws in the case "was package taped together lol". I disassembled the rest of it, and there seemed to be minimal dust. The heat sink screws were somewhat loose, and the plates they hold down seemed off-centered.

I removed them, and checked on the cpu and gpu. They had some white non factory paste, and there was minimal transfer of paste from chips to pads, except a small amount on one corner of each pad. I thought maybe the off-centered pads and loose screws didn't allow a good connection, so I reassembled the console with tighter screws "not too tight", and the same symptoms.

Just wondering if changing the paste to a higher quality paste, would be a plausible fix, or if this is gonna be a reball issue. Would be nice for a cheap fix, and have a near launch console for a steal.

It doesn't need a reball. You basically solved the problem yourself. The heatsinks aren't making good contact and screws are missing. If it was me I would try to get the heatsink to make contact with good paste.

Also make sure no thermal pads are missing. You might need a new heatsink, screws and the clamps. Because those screws and the holes they screw in can become stripped easily and it will not tighten probably. And the clamps could be warped even if it doesn't look that way.

Go on eBay and lookup ceche01 parts there is everything from screws to motherboards you could use to fix it.

Thank you.. I will look for some parts. I have an old dead cecha01 in storage, would the heatsink be interchangeable? Also I didn't realise that the heat spreaders over the chips are removable, I'll look into those tomorrow, and check the thermal paste on those. Maybe it's a simple fix, never know.

Before you remove the heat spreaders be sure to check a few YouTube tuts on the subject. You need a heat gun to get some flexibility into the epoxy and be careful what tool you use to do the prying.

Be aware that there are surface mount components on the chip surface about 8mm in from the edge so be careful not to go mad slicing through. Best thing I have found is a feeler gauge bent about 30 degrees. You may get away with a bit of a twist action if the bond is crap but never be tempted to lever it upward, you'll blow the balls off the board and get ylod.

Good luck.

So i think you have maybe a bigger problem. If the heat sink is installed properly and you have also cool paste on it but it overheats... then it can be the paste under the plate of CPU/GPU (IHS)... And its not funny to remove it...The second problem is... maybe a heat sensor broken...

simply his ps3 to dead, I have had the same problems in a ps3 fat and for a lot of heat, put it in the oven or pasta that you want to spend this dead, reballing only prolong your life a little, but it will be the same in a few months.

I bought one in wallapop for 30 euros, superslim but working perfect, waiting for hdd write from sc0rtd3w ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back