Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
PS4 Jailbreaking       Thread starter kizabg       Start date Nov 5, 2018 at 8:07 AM       45      
Status
Not open for further replies.
Following Parts 1 through 3 of their PS4 Aux Hax covering hacking Aeolia, Syscon and DS4 today PlayStation 4 hackers fail0verflow shared documentation on PS4 Aux Hax 4 which uses HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) to get code exec on all PS4 Belize southbridge versions (including PS4 Pro, etc) without requiring other parts of the system to be pwned! :notworthy:

According to Wikipedia, CEC is a feature of HDMI designed to allow users to command and control devices connected through HDMI by using only one remote control... and the bug is in the HDMI CEC code with the path reachable when HDMI-CEC is enabled and active. :ninja:

Be sure to check out the full PS4 Aux Hax 4: Belize via CEC documentation on their latest Blog Entry alongside the PS4 Southbridge Reverse-Engineered Code Examination, and to quote in part:

"So, the overall process is like:
  1. Tap onto CEC-related i2c and irq lines and HDMI encoder power switch
  2. Power up PS4 and enter Rest Mode
  3. Wait for “EAP running” message from custom EAP kernel
  4. Induce the CEC RX interrupt
  5. Feed data to EMC such that it causes a stack buffer overflow
  6. Wait for EMC to copy SRAM to DDR3
  7. Dump copied SRAM out of UART
Of course, this is really EMC code exec, so the dumping is just something to do after the fact :)

This post outlines a way to dump EMC firmware and gain EMC code exec on any hardware revision. While the real root keys (in fuses and ROM) of EMC versions besides the first are still unknown, they could yet be recovered with side channel attacks, if someone really wanted them. Since this method is comparatively much more simple and more generic, it stands on its own as an interesting exploit.

As was hinted at, the CXD90046GG version of EMC employs slightly better security practices. The EMC ROM now wipes the SRAM space used as stack during initial key derivation, and some as-of-yet unknown method is used to unmap the ROM, mitigating it being dumped simply by reading from address 0x00000000. Again, it is likely the key material could still be recovered - if someone cares - but it’s interesting to see that such changes made their way into hardware between revisions."

Spoiler: Related Tweets

PS4 Aux Hax 4 Belize (Southbridge) via HDMI CEC by Fail0verflow.jpg

Comments

ppl!!
i only see big progress on ps4 hack.
thanx to all devs and rest of crew.
we have 5.05 hacked !!!
we have 100000000000............ games
and for spiderman and rdr2????
and few others and few new games... we have to wait.
maybe 1 or 2 months, one year, or maybe newer, but we have our ps4 on 5.05 open for all stuff.
we play most of the game release.

patience!!!
stop asking 6.xx hack and cfw!!!
every new post have same question about cfw.
want cfw????
buy ps3!!!

most of ppl understand my opinion.

respect...
and regards to all!!!

kiza i try write you private message but there is no option. Please man make it possible i have 5.07 broken system, because i was investigating observer...

Incredible what this guys are able to figure out - Respect!
It would be awesome to see this hack on video and to see also, what things there by exactly soldered.
This will find the way to the average user.
At least - thx to failoverflow and ps4_enthusiast to share this! :tup:

I have read about this news. The consensus seems to be that this doesn't mean much. Devs get all upset when people ask if this will allow them to play greater 5.05 games but at the same time no one ever explains what this new hack actually is. Can someone explain why this is (or is not) moving the scene forward?

Is this just a permanent hard hack that will just replace the non permanent soft hack we have all been using currently on our 5.05 ps4s? I think if these types of things were explained clearly, there wouldn't be a flood of "oh my god can I play Spiderman" that the devs seem to detest.

@btaggs quote from the blog:
This exploit differs from the previously documented method as it does not have the prerequisite of gaining control of the APU.

Additionally it is fairly generic and therefor workable on all currently released hardware and software versions of PS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back