Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PSXHAX

Staff Member
Verified
Here's another handy guide compilation from our old site courtesy of @misiozol, @Brenza and @HeyManHRU covering jailbreakable and downgradable PS3 models, and how to check the PlayStation 3 Base Firmware with MinVerChk.

:question: Is my PS3 jailbreakable?

Currently 3.55 PS3 Firmware consoles are hackable (up to 3.56 with a Flasher) and 4.XX PS3 Firmware consoles are downgradable (with a Flasher), however, 3K and 4K model PS3 consoles can not be downgraded at all so if you have one sell it and find an older revision or look into a hardware mod (Optical Drive Emulator aka ODE).

If you are unsure which PS3 model you have, compare your PlayStation 3 console to the PS3 SKU Models charts below.

:idea: If you do not have a Flasher, you may have someone in the System Repairs, Reballs and Reflows section do it for you. When contacting them, be sure to include the model and version information using MinVerChk as described below.

Before we start you will need:
1. After you download "MinVerChk" you will see a "PS3UPDAT.PUP" file. Put that file in a folder named "UPDATE" and that folder in another folder named "PS3", now move the "PS3" folder to the root of your external HDD (USB flash drive in most cases).

2. Go the "Settings" tab on your PS3, and click on "System Update". Choose "Update via Storage Media".

3. It will detect your PS3 update as a "Version Check by Ifcaro" click "OK"

After it says "Please wait..." for a couple of second it will tell you your PS3 base firmware (3.40 in my case :D).

Below is a list of PS3 models (for fat and slim) and their base firmware courtesy of tito1:

Base Firmware for fat PS3 model:
  • 40GB CECHG04 - Fat OFW 1.90 (Max. Downgrade)
  • 40GB CECHG04 - Fat OFW 1.90 (Max. Downgrade)
  • 60GB CECHC04 - Fat OFW 1.0 (Max. Downgrade)
  • 60GB CECHC04 - Fat OFW 1.1 (Max. Downgrade)
  • 80GB CECHK04 - Fat OFW 2.16 (Max. Downgrade)
  • 80GB CHECHE11 - Fat OFW 2.40 (Max. Downgrade)
  • Fat DECR1400A - FWD 2.60 (Max. Downgrade)
  • 80GB CECHE01 - Fat OFW 1.00 (Max. Downgrade)
  • 160 GB CECHP04 - Fat OFW 2.45 (Max. Downgrade)
Base Firmware for slim PS3 model:
  • 120Gb SLIM OFW CECH2004A - 2.70 (Max.Downgrade)
  • 120GB SLIM OFW CECH2001A - 2.70 (Max.Downgrade)
  • 250GB SLIM OFW CECH2004B - 2.70 (Max.Downgrade)
  • 320GB SLIM OFW CECH2504B - 3.40 (Max.Downgrade)
If you are still unsure which PS3 model you have, compare your PlayStation 3 console to the PS3 SKU Models charts from PSDevWiki.com via Jd8531:

Downgradable PS3 Models

FAQ

Q.) Can CFW be installed on 4.xx OFW?
A.) NO, you need to DOWNGRADE to 3.55 Firmware. when DEVS FIND A WAY FOR IT TO BE INSTALLED ON A HIGHER FW IT’LL BE ANNOUNCED, PATIENCE.

Q.) Can i Software Downgrade from 4.xx OFW?
A.) NO, THE ONLY WAY RIGHT NOW IS TO use a Hardware Flasher, (E3, Progskeet, Teensy 2.0, (last one is open source and widely supported)) IT CAN BE COMPLICATED SO BE CAREFUL.

Q.) Can i brick my PS3 installing a 4.xx CFW?
A.) Yes, bricking CAN OCCUR WHEN ALTERING A CONSOLE OTHER THAN INTENDED. USERS ARE REPORTING BRICKS, IF YOU ATTEMPT READ CAREFULLY AND TAKE YOUR TIME.

Q.) Can i brick my PS3 by downgrading?
A.) YES you can, HOWEVER SOME BRICKS CAN BE REVERSED. IF YOU BRICK YOUR CONSOLE IN ANY WAY, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE.

How to find a PS3’s Model Number

To locate the model of your PlayStation 3, look on the back of the system and locate the bar code sticker. Underneath the bar code you will see the 11-digit serial number followed by a model number which begins with “CECH”. You can also find the model number by looking on the box. It can be found by looking on the top of the box (the side where the handle is located) and is printed below the contents of whats inside the box.

Newer Models

ps3slim_serialnumber.gif

Older Models

ps3_serialnumber.gif

Downgradable Models

Fouou.png

z5_Mb5.png

M5_BAv.png

These easy, trimmed down charts will help you find out if your PS3 is downgradable and what the lowest firmware that it can be downgraded to. Remember that 3.55 is the firmware required to install CFW, for now. You can check out the last column to see the min firmware that’s allowed on that console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back