Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Keizel

Contributor
Game used for the test:

Spoiler

There are different options in the dumper, that is saved in dumper.cfg.

Here I'll explain the important differences between option 0 and option 3.

(Information is the menu that appears when is pressed "options" above the game, in the Menu).

Option 0, dumping the game with the update embebbed and installing the .pkg generated.*

The version is shown correctly?
  • In information not.
  • In the title screen yes.
  • In the history of updates yes.
  • Size occupied: 1'17 GB.
Option 3, dumping the game and the update in different folders, and installing both .pkg generated.

The version is shown correctly?
  • In information yes.
  • In the title screen yes.
  • In the history of updates yes.
  • Size occupied: 1'24 GB
There are way for to split to the game and to the update embedded from .pkg generated? (For to have both .pkg)
Not.

When we dump a game, the name of the file by default is
Content ID/Product ID/Entitlement ID + APP_VER + VERSION
example:

JP0700-CUSA07515_00-TAIKONOTATSUJIN1-A0100-V0100

We focus on A0100-V0100, here the explain:

APP_VER: Update number. A new game in disc/digital will have A0100, and if this is updated to 01.01, it will be A0101-V0100.

VERSION
: Disc/digital game revision. A game that is released without revision and that isn't updated will be A0100-V0100, but if the game is re-released (for example, for GOTY edition, version with all DLCs), the number will be different, for example, A0100-V0101.

A example: GOTY edition could to be updated too, and if the GOTY edition is V0101 and the update is 01.50, it will be A0150-V0101.

*When a game is dumped by option 0 (the game with the update embedded), the update number will be the revision number, because the update, being embedded, will be the revision for the game.

For example, when a game updated to 01.05 (and without revision, in this example) is dumped by this option, with the update embedded, it will show a incorrect number, specifically: A0100-V0105, instead of the correct: A0105-V0100

This is a important problem that we must avoid, due to that fact, I recommend to use the option 3.

Maybe this is the cause for to the information shows the incorrect version.

@PSXHAX

this subject was discussed at length with 4.05 exploit and even more with 4.55

a separate update/patch is always better except for a game that is no longer maintained
hoping that dumpers will think about that for their next releases ;)

concerning previous releases, new updates become available :)
but we can find numerous base with different package digest

to be able to quickly repack fpkg update to match any package digest, it would be easier to have directly unencrypted files with attached gp4 (ready to rebuild)

thank you all :)

Good info and I agree with using option 3. At least that way people can decide whether they want to install the patch or not. Sometimes patches introduce new bugs/change features (see ff15 lol!).

Hopefully with more hombrew development in the scene, one day we will be able to update games freely.

Thanks for writing this, I was confused as to why some pkg files for games with e.g. 1.05 update are named "A0100-V0105" but other "A0105-V0100", but now it's clear.

@Lush78

But how do you update the game without updating your FW? It only allows you to download the update but not install it if you're on lower FW. If anyone knows how to do it, let me know.

to be honest, its just aesthetics since you still know which version game is. And easily fixable. Just edit sfo before building merged game+patch :)

Although, your PSA is nice enough to explain the difference between app_ver and version to the new users :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back