Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SirCharles

Contributor
Verified
The PSU on my PS5 launch model CFI-1015A PS5 disk edition went boom so I bought a Genuine OEM Sony ADP-400DR Power Supply from ebay for $66 shipped, but when I got it in I noticed some things seemed a bit off.. Such as the molded Sony branding had a blank section on the bottom half where my original had a CQC logo and some Chinese lettering.

The plastic casing does seem to be of very similar quality but the vent holes are a bit larger, and looking through those holes I can see that the components are different shapes/sizes and in slightly different positions, some of the coils on the AC-in side look bigger, and the main caps are yellow/gold color rather than the original black/grey.

It was also missing the square felt pad and strips, and the exposed QR code printed on the board is white with green showing through rather than white with black over top. There's a QC sticker on it with a 2023 date, so I thought I could possibly chalk up the differences to reiterations made by the OEM over the years.. the PS5 launch period was during a chip/parts shortage after all (they even came with 3 different fan types too).

Is this replacement PSU legit? Or a non-genuine/knockoff part?
It does work for now but I'm not so sure about the longevity of it and I'm worried it could do damage to the main mobo.. I haven't seen any pics of one that looks exactly like it either, and no I won't crack it open for a better look cuz I'm still considering returning/reselling it. I might even try to repair my original one since I found this voltage pinout diagram posted on here:

playstation-5-ps5-power-supply-unit-psu-voltages-pinout-diagram-jpg.6859

For more background info on what may have contributed to the fault to begin with, a couple weeks ago I saw I needed to update the FW and in the middle of the update (during the initial progress bar screen) the PSU made a loud POP! sound and the console went completely dead.. Sniffed around the vents and smelled that typical electrical smoke smell. Nothing else on the shared outlet was affected, only the PS5.

The last time I used it I had left it in rest mode but it got hit by a blackout and I left it in that state (off but still plugged in) for about a month after that, and when I turned it back on recently I got the usual improper shut down message and storage check but it started up and was working fine aside from not being able to connect to my PSN as it was out of date.. so I went to update it as mentioned, then this whole thing happened.

Solution
Try to keep original hardware on PS5. ACPI states might be an issue there. PS5 does check for hardware integrity. Your PSU might not be the issue here. Honest advice is just to try and keep the original one.
Try to keep original hardware on PS5. ACPI states might be an issue there. PS5 does check for hardware integrity. Your PSU might not be the issue here. Honest advice is just to try and keep the original one.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back