Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
PS4 Help       Thread starter mukasange       9      
Status
Not open for further replies.

mukasange

Contributor
has anyone here tried to make a hole on top and below PS4 case and using dust filter to prevent overheating issues.

does it help to reduce the heat? and what thermal paste / pad you are using?

Solution
1. First I replaced the thermal paste of my ps4 pro with liquid metal, covered the APU capacitor with glue.

2. I take out the ps4 pro APU aluminum cover (only applicable to CUH7000) and put copper heatsink on all the RAM module.

3. I bought a new set of ps4 pro shell, using small hand grill i opened a square hole on top of the fan and put a piece of casing dust filter to cover up the hole. (I saved the bottom shell for next project, maybe)

4. The fan noise is less significant with liquid metal alone, but after opening the hole, the fan noise is again noticeable, but the air outlet is much stronger and less warmer. So the original small air inlet hole at the right is not sufficient to make our ps4 pro cooler.
...​
Yeah, making holes certainly helps to counter overheating problems, however always cover the hole with a napkin or something when not using the ps4 as it becomes an easy entry point for dust.

Also the hole should be made above the fan to increase air circulation.

Using the stock thermal paste doesn't cause any problem.

i drilled 20 holes on top where the fan is

it does help a lot for the cold air to get in
but its still like a jet engine for me , so i'll need new paste i guess but after that it should be fine :)

Do a thermal paste change first and decide if that is sufficient enough. I had the jet engine sound and after putting new paste it was quiet and cooled much better. I recommend artic mx4 because it doesn't dry up. Definitely do a paste change because when I did mine there was virtually no paste there at all and why it was so loud.

First of all do a deep clean of your ps4 clean the heatsink from any clogged up dust. Remove the old thermal paste with isopropyl alcohol and add new paste I prefer Kryounaut by thermal grizzly. if you still have loud fan noise make your diy holes and fan. remember air should be going into the console above where your stock ps4 is.

or here is an idea where you dont have to cut holes. on the back side of your console where your hdmi and power cable ports are place fans that suck out air hence you will need much smaller fans than normal pc cpu fans. laptop fans does the job and its 5v so you can plug into your usb port on the console

@tutpark thanks for suggestion after i making a hole on top of my ps4 case and change its thermal paste to gelid GC extreme i found my ps4 didn't have a loud fan while i'm playing TLOU 2, and i found a large amount of dust are gathered on heatsink so it prevent heat air exit and to prevent dust i applied dust filter from side holes and top holes i made

so it's clear then when your ps4 produce a lot of heat, check your heatsink or its fan from dust if it doesn't help then repaste your ps4 on your local technician, i wouldn't suggest to re-paste it yourself because it's difficult when you have 0 experience

If you don't have enough experience don't do it yourself. i spent over a six months of experience trying to reduce the jet engine obnoxious sound.

1- if you have no experience, get somebody else do it for you

2- if you want to do it yourself, check your console model first, for example ps4 pro has many different variations

3- after checking your console number, search for disassembly tutorial on youtube or whatever.

4- grizzly thermal and liquid paste is the best in the market.

5- liquid paste require far more attention to details,if a little amount leave the APU you are risking fry your ps4 for good, not to mention that the heat sink on ps4 phat and slim is a no noo, ps4 pro heat sink may take it but no guarantees what would happen after a couple of years due to chemical reaction, but you can always buy a new heat sink may be.

6- if you think the liquid paste doesn't worth the trouble, then use grizzly bear non liquid and pads for the rams

7- put a decent amount of the paste on the APU about 3 to 4 rice size amount and spread it equally all over the APU

8- last but definitely not least don't screw the heat sink too tight, this is very important, first measure the point where the screws end spinning, you need not to reach that point, by one full spin.

and i forgot the hole thing on ps4 doesn't help unless you want to make a full hole with no dust filter, trust me dont do it.

Why drilling your precious PS4? you can remove the upper case simply and gently, and after finishing playing replace it.
And if you want to get further, replace the thermal past by a premium one and you will get cooler, but dont destruct your console.

1. First I replaced the thermal paste of my ps4 pro with liquid metal, covered the APU capacitor with glue.

2. I take out the ps4 pro APU aluminum cover (only applicable to CUH7000) and put copper heatsink on all the RAM module.

3. I bought a new set of ps4 pro shell, using small hand grill i opened a square hole on top of the fan and put a piece of casing dust filter to cover up the hole. (I saved the bottom shell for next project, maybe)

4. The fan noise is less significant with liquid metal alone, but after opening the hole, the fan noise is again noticeable, but the air outlet is much stronger and less warmer. So the original small air inlet hole at the right is not sufficient to make our ps4 pro cooler.

Whats-App-Image-2020-11-12-at-8-36-43-PM.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2020-11-12-at-8-55-43-PM.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2020-11-12-at-8-59-09-PM.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2020-11-12-at-9-13-38-PM.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2020-11-12-at-9-13-49-PM.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2020-11-24-at-1-22-36-PM.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2020-11-24-at-1-25-25-PM.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2020-11-27-at-2-21-31-PM.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2020-11-27-at-3-00-57-PM.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2021-03-01-at-3-05-04-PM.jpg

Solution
Status