Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
PS4 Help       Thread starter sped       11      
Status
Not open for further replies.

sped

Contributor
Verified
We use the browser as an entry point for unhacked consoles, but with enough reversing couldn't we after using the browser entry point find a buffer overflow or some other exploit in say something like a config file that PS4 reads to load up it's user interface or a theme file, to establish a persistent hack that survives through power on/off?

>WebKit exploit
>Kernel exploit
>Modify previously untouchable config/theme file to install persistent exploit

Just curious, it might help with the hack stability as well, considering that it seems the userland exploit in webkit is the unstable part.

Solution
A lot of progress was made behind the scene over the years (SAMU pwn'd, PS4 keys, persistent HEN, etc) so it's just a matter of time until those involved decide to finally make them public.

Needless to say there's always a lot of drama surrounding such things, as some want to keep them private while others feel differently so perhaps after the PS5 scene picks up some of the PS4's remaining secrets will be shared... we can only hope anyway. :notworthy:

Update: From kiwidog: To curb hype, there's a heap overflow in a system library, it's been POC on Linux and the version in PS4 6.72 and below is vulnerable, have not verified on anything newer. This may be a huge nothing burger if the heap layout isn't correct or exploitable...
Also bought mine with 5.55 and had to upgrade to 6.72. The current webkit exploits seem to work more often then not, and rest mode is pretty darn stable. Only thing I have issues with often is loading Linux, and then having to reboot and re run the webkit and those times it's about 50/50 when trying to get jailbroken again. So I just try to avoid loading Linux unless I must.

Private hacking scene probably has to be private to avoid litigation from $ony I would think unless something gets released everywhere at all once they would track down and isolate the source and pursue legal. Sucks but it's understandable I guess?

agree with @Backporter i have ps4 5.05 and 6.72 both stable but 5.05 is the most stable through on/off cycle, someday we'll see persistent hack like they do on psvita henkaku-enso scene

and never used internet connection at all and blocked the update through exploit it will make your console unrepairable

just use esp8266 if you want to update the exploit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back