Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
PS4 News       Thread starter PSXHAX       Start date Nov 9, 2018 at 9:37 AM       11      
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the initial PlayStation Classic announcement and full game lineup, many have been curious what Sony is using to run classic PlayStation games on their mini handheld iteration of the original console. :unsure:

According to recent reports from mainstream media sites including ArsTechnica.com, DSOGaming.com and HowToGeek.com wonder no more- it appears Sony's secret is out of the bag as cyber sleuths including Frank Cifaldi have discovered that the free, open-source PlayStation emulator PCSX Reloaded (available on Github) is responsible for the PSX emulation magic! :sneaky:

Many are pointing out the sheer irony of this in that years ago Sony sued the popular PlayStation emulator Bleem! forcing the company out of business due to massive legal expenses incurred throughout the court battles. :rolleyes:

Below are some related Tweets trending on Twitter:

PlayStation Classic is Powered by Open-Source PCSX Emulator.jpg

Comments

Ah so you're buying a cute ps1 case, controller and the limitation of a few games. Good investment. Clever even.

The Nvidia Sheild looks good but it's a but pricey. I could probably just get some chinese equivalent for a quarter of the cost (albeit with a crap processor).

@stooged The specs are what sell me on the Sheild. If it can support 3rd party controllers it would be a definite winner. I assume it would.... Then I could get the cheaper version with a better controller!

@BwE I have a heap of Chinese ones and they don't hold up. the minix is expensive and I have 3 variants of that and the are all crap compared to the shield tv.

the shield tv is well worth it, I have one in every room of the house and I would never buy another cheap one again.

That classic is such unnecessary...

We have PSX emulation on the PS2, the PS3, on the PSP, on the vita, on a raspberry, on pc, even on Mobile Phones!

I don’t even see the purpose of this product!

Biggest fail is that it uses the PCSX emu that is FREE on most hardware and you can load as many games you want. You are not limited to 20 most crappy games.

Only scenario I can think of is someone buying it that don’t has a PC or Mobile phone or any other hardware that runs a PSX emu. And that niche is such small.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back