Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
PS5 CFW and Hacks       Thread starter PSXHAX       Start date Jul 1, 2023 at 10:08 PM       15      
Status
Not open for further replies.
Proceeding his Exploring the PS5 Security Landscape Hardwear.io 2023 presentation and Slideshow, @SpecterDev (Twitter) recently updated PSDevWiki with details on the PS5 In-Kernel Hypervisor present in PlayStation 5 Firmware 2.50 and below for PS5Scene developers to examine. :geek:

According to @zecoxao on Twitter, "he only has a full dump from a version from those ranges, so it's normal."

Here's further details on the In-Kernel PS5 Hypervisor from the PS5 Developer Wiki, as follows: In-Kernel Hypervisor (<= 2.50)

On 2.50 and lower, the hypervisor is integrated as part of the kernel binary. This is the "first iteration" of the hypervisor, later versions have the hypervisor as a separately loaded component. The hypervisor's main goals are to protect kernel code integrity and enforce xotext (aka. eXecute Only Memory or "XOM") on the kernel.

To accomplish this, Sony takes advantage of various features provided by AMD Secure Virtual Machine (SVM), such as; Nested Page Tables (NPT), Guest Mode Execute Trap (GMET), and intercepting reads/writes to Control Registers (CRs) as well as Machine State Registers (MSRs).

Furthermore, xotext seems to be hardware-backed as a collaboration with AMD, named "nda feature". The hypervisor also manages the I/O Memory Management Unit (IOMMU), as hinted by the fact that it exposes various hypercalls for configuring it.

It's worth noting the hypervisor is very small, especially when compared to that of the PS3. It only supports a handful of hypercalls and mainly exists to protect the kernel. It doesn't run multiple VMs or use nested virtualization, it only virtualizes the kernel/userspace, which Sony calls "GameOS".

SpecterDev has documented information regarding PS5 ioctls and device codenames.
PS5 In-Kernel Hypervisor Details by SpecterDev for PS5Scene.png

Comments

I see this as another small step towards a usable (or useful) PS5 jailbreak. Not going to get too excited as there's still much more work to be done.

not worth waiting for prob, games getting cheap after 6-12 months anyway im on 5-5.5 something on ps5... have a ps4 pro on 5.05 at least

Yeah, see death stranding direction cut you can get it for 8 € on ebay, etc

Or HFW /Spiderman / Gran Turismo for 20 € each, etc.

It's not worth to wait.. Only if you want to play really all the possible games 😂

But I want to see the progress here and all the stuff that make only few people contra Sony team :D

I think it is a good news if he knows how the system works :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back