Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
PS5 News       Thread starter PSXHAX       Start date Sep 19, 2020 at 12:22 AM       39      
Status
Not open for further replies.
In contrast to Microsoft's upcoming Xbox Series X console that will also play original Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One games at launch, Sony CEO Jim Ryan confirmed in a Famitsu Interview following the PlayStation 5 Showcase that PS5 won't natively support PS1, PS2 nor PS3 games and as previously hinted will have limited backwards compatibility with past generation PlayStation consoles... including a lack of support for PS1 / PS2 / PS3 game discs on the Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Drive Model. :oops:

Just a few weeks prior to this discouraging news, a since-removed Ubisoft Leak also stated the following to quote:

"PlayStation 4 players will be able to join multiplayer games with PlayStation 5 players. Backwards compatibility will be available for supported PlayStation 4 titles, but will not be possible for PlayStation 3, PlayStation 2, or PlayStation games."

Equally disheartening to longtime PlayStation hardware consumers is confirmation directly from Sony that the DualShock 4 (DS4) Controller is also not compatible with PS5 games. :(

According to Sony Interactive Entertainment President & CEO Jim Ryan in the Famitsu Interview, 99% of PS4 titles are compatible with PlayStation 5... however, when asked about PS5's compatibility with PS1, PS2 and PS3 titles he stated the following roughly translated:

"We have been building devices with a focus on PS5-specific engineering. Among them, PS4 already has 100 million players, so I thought that I would like to play PS4 titles on PS5 as well, so I introduced PS4 compatibility.

While achieving that, we focused on incorporating high-speed SSDs and the new controller "DualSense" in parallel. So, unfortunately, compatibility with them has not been achieved."

As Arstechnica points out based on Jim Ryan's Time Magazine 2017 Interview this lack of affection for older generation consoles is nothing new with him, where he stated to quote:

"When we've dabbled with backward compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much. That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"

Here's to hoping $ony doesn't intend to charge people yet again on PS5 for PlayStation games already paid for on past generation consoles like with PS One and PS2 Classics, PSN Ports and even PS1 Emulation in PS4 Games as discovered by scene developers months back. :confused:

As always, share your comments on this PlayStation 5 News in the PS5 Forums! đź“Ł
Sony CEO Confirms PS5 Won't Natively Support PS1, PS2 nor PS3 Games.jpg

Comments

I have to say, I'm not surprised by this, but I am also very disappointed.

Do you think there would be a[n even] larger following if Sony did decide to add PS1-PS3 compatibility?

Ps2 was one of the greatest game release time-frame ever. Disappointing that a new system doesn't provide us with a way to play from factory

The only disappointment I've ever heard for PS5, but I really hope that in the future, they'll do something about it. Like an external device that runs PS1-3 games on PS5?

I hardly think future consoles will ever be backward compatible with PS3. It was hard to develop for, which makes you wonder how much harder it'll be to port the entire system. Just adding PS3 parts to the board like what happened with PS2 support on the 3 is pretty dubious.

It's a shame, but PS3s are cheap nowadays. In fact, I got a fat one from OfferUp for $50. Anybody with a good enough PC can run RPCS3, and big titles have been remastered/ported/remaked. As Scott the Woz said in his latest video (paraphrased), "Backwards compatibility is nice, but it was never really a selling point."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back