Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
PS3 CFW and Hacks       Thread starter Mooglux       1      
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooglux

Contributor
Hi,

I've installed a CFW on my old fat PS3, back in 2010. It worked very well until the BD drive broke... I bought a new PS3 back then and put it away, ocassionally looking for updates / fixes for the BD drive issue. (can't start any game with a non working drive)

Now i found out, that there's a "no-bd" firmware, and i thought i'll dust off my console and give that a try.

My PS3 Fat is on Rogero CFW 4.31. There are some games installed on an external HDD that no longer exists.
  • Can i simply update to a newer CFW? Is there any tutorial i should / can follow?
  • Which CFW should i use? I've seen there are a lot of different CFWs available, but i don't really get the difference.
  • Since it's a PS3 with PS2 Emulation enabled, i'd also like to play PS2 games on it. Is this working out of the box?
  • How can i "clean up" the PS3? Can i use the reset PS3 feature, available in the system settings, without breaking anything?

Several answers on PS2 support (including a nice video) for PS3 CFW and updating can be found on the links posted in THIS recent reply of mine.

There is also a REBUG 4.82.1 LITE NoBD version available for those with broken or missing Blu-ray drives.

As for cleaning up the PS3 while on CFW, here is a quick reformatting guide from Dro on NGU:

1. Boot PS3 into Recovery Mode.
2. Select option "Restore PS3 System" - This will format the hdd and wipe everything (games, saves etc). When it is finished, you will be brought to a black screen, asking for your last syscall (last CFW installed)
3. Reinstall your CFW

The only thing I'd add is to note which specific PS3 CFW is currently installed before wiping the HDD since the PS3 will ask you for that exact CFW PUP file to reinstall the system upon reinserting the hard drive.

There are many detailed guides such as this one from baargle and videos on YouTube for this process, so I would do some research before wiping to avoid headaches or losing anything important afterwards and good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back