Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
PS5 News       Thread starter PSXHAX       Start date Nov 21, 2021 at 6:10 AM       16      
Status
Not open for further replies.
Many in the PS5Scene recall when PlayStation 5 lead system architect Mark Cerny first revealed PS5 Features, the PS5 System Architecture & Hardware Specs presentation and his PS5 SSD Recommendations this past summer for those considering a Compatible PS5 M.2 Storage Expansion drive... well, he's now back via Wired discussing how PlayStation 5 was built below! :geek:

How PlayStation 5 Was Built (feat. Mark Cerny) | WIRED

Mark Cerny, Lead System Architect of the PlayStation 5, breaks down all the went into the creation of Sony's latest video game console. Mark talks about the steps Sony takes when developing a video game console, from early brainstorming sessions to picking out what parts to use in the final product.

PS5 Lead System Architect Mark Cerny on How PlayStation 5 Was Built.jpg

Comments

@DangaiSeiri7
I completely agree. Basically, anytime a part is soldered onto a mobo it concerns me and in this case it's the default storage for the console. Further, it's at a spec that really pushes the media and that usually brings up a short shelf-life. It reminds me a lot of GDDR5, 5X, 6, 6X modules when new. They all had growing pains so a lot of the chips sent out as "good" failed pretty quickly early on.

Here it's storage modules that is reading and writing gigabytes per use. It wouldn't surprise me if we see a lot of the early PS5 consoles have issues with their SSD chips. Which, again, is scary given that it's the default storage. I'm not even sure if the OS can be installed on to add-on storage. If not, the whole system fails if/when a single SSD chip fails (of three).

I'm in repair and the PS5 seems like a nightmare to me. I'm yet to work on one and I don't look forward to it, to be honest. A lot of the ICs haven't even made their way into Chinese secondary markets yet, a shocker for a Sony console that is a year old now. A lot of parts have to come from another donor console A YEAR IN to it's lifecycle. For those in repair that's... not ideal.

I think having everything soldered into the board and breaking after awhile is exactly the reason why they did it.. it breaks next year and they replace it.. it breaks after 5 years, and it is no longer supported so your only option is to get a new console

I'm building the new PS6 out of Lincoln logs, Tinker Toys, and Legos. Its ran by a x386 CPU that has been OC to Ultra Instinct. Thanks to Goku SSJ??... lol.

I've done all my design work and drawings using my etch a sketch... and took pictures of each drawing with my HiTech Polaroid camera... lmao. I'm just messing around.

This is a really cool article just wanted to spice it up a little. :) It's truly amazing how far gaming has come in my generation for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back