Join Us and become a Member for a Verified Badge to access private areas with the latest PS4 PKGs.
PS5 News       Thread starter PSXHAX       Start date Mar 7, 2018 at 1:57 AM       51      
Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently industry insider Tidux shared a link to an updated Sony patent (with another HERE), which means according to reports the PS5 may offer backwards compatibility and play PS4 games on the upcoming PlayStation 5. :D

To quote from PSU.com on this interesting discovery:

"PS5 backwards compatibility is looking a little more likely after a US patent was updated by Sony Interactive Entertainment America. Updated on February 13, it clearly states: “Backward compatibility testing of software in a mode that disrupts timing.”

This isn’t confirmation that the PS5 will be able to play PS4 games, but it could be an indication that Sony is conducting some kind of backwards compatibility testing."

PS5 May Play PS4 Games According to Sony Patent Updates.jpg

Comments

They really need it to be backwards compatible with the PS5 tbh. Xbox has taken the backwards/forwards approach and if the PS5 only plays PS5 games it’ll come back to bite them in the ass when trying to justify people picking up a PS5 over a new xbox that still offers access to the games you already own

They could combine the PS4 APU with the PS5 APU. It doesn't sound impossible to put everything on the same die. It could be like a 45nm or 65nm APU. Or they could add two APUS to the motherboard. Older motherboards had a separate CPU and GPU so I don't see why they couldn't have two separate chips.

And the PS4 APU won't produce any heat because it shouldn't activate until you try to run a PS4 game. It doesn't sound impossible to me.

it was clear this ... that's why the exploits were taken out, it was already spoken that they were and someone else was going to use this to sell all the possible ps4s because they were going to launch ps5 in not very long time

If it's also gonna be an x86-x64 based cpu / amd gpu (90% sure it will be) combo then it's practically a no-brainer. A small compatibility layer will be enough. Also if it will be significantly beefier like 16/32gb ram & at least 4x or more the power of current ps4 pro gpu then maybe even ps3 emulation of the powerpc / nvidia chipset of the ps3 will be possible as well. We'll see in a few years for sure.

@miluthui I don't blame you. Around 70 million PS4 consoles have sold and the multiplayer lobbies are dead. Battlefield 4 has around 5 full conquest lobbies each day and Star Wars Battlefront usually has 1 or 2 Heroes vs Villians lobbies going. The games franchises are milked to death.

i hope we dont see it for 4-5 years atleast. the console generation life span had become 8-10 years, and i hope it stays that way. the dev kit stuff worries me though :unsure:

@FFTHEWINNER 8-10 years ? Today we are closer to only 3 years: PS4 then PS4 PRO, Xone then XOX. And if that PS5 is PS4 comptatible, maybe that PS5 is just a PS4 PRO+ and will be released end of 2018 for Xmas ? Maybe we will finally see a console that will display real 4k in Ultrasettings at more than 60 FPS ? Why wait 2019 or 2020 when PC can allready do it for years ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back