Category PS Vita News       Thread starter PSXHAX       Start date May 16, 2018 at 4:55 AM       4,049       11            
Last year we saw the end of PS3 production in Japan, and despite Sony pushing PS Vita Firmware 3.68 live last month they are officially ending production of physical PlayStation Vita games. o_O

According to Kotaku.com, digital distribution including Vita PSN titles will continue for the time being with details below, to quote:

"Sony's American and European branches “plan to end all Vita GameCard production by close of fiscal year 2018,” the company told developers today in a message obtained by Kotaku.

The message asks that all Vita product code requests be submitted by June 28, 2018, and that final purchase orders be entered by February 15, 2019. Sony’s 2018 fiscal year will end on March 31, 2019."

For those wondering, the PlayStation Vita launched in Japan on December 17, 2011 and in North America and throughout Europe on February 22, 2012.

On the bright side, the PS Vita homebrew scene is still alive and kicking with some recent updates from TheFloW via Twitter below:

Sony to End PlayStation Vita GameCard Physical Game Production.jpg

Comments

bnm1

Contributor
They should just discontinue the Vita. It was great in 2011 but the hardware is so outdated now compared to Smartphones.

FFTHEWINNER

Contributor
Verified
damn. this SUCKS. just as we are getting the hack too. i very recently bought my vita and hoped to begin building a collection for it. this is really sad :'(

barelynotlegal

Contributor
Verified
I thought the vita was awesome, a little outdated but still lots of potential. I liked that (back in day) fire up the vita at work and play my PS4 that was at home. Though only a handful of games I liked. Most games seemed to be RPG or RPG based. With the exception of a few games. Eventually I sold both of mine as the games were getting boring. Can only play woff so many times lol
R.i.p vita

Recent Articles
PlayStation 4 & PS4 Pro Price Drop Rumored in Black Friday 2019 Ad Leak
As we get closer to the holidays we'll do a dedicated topic on Black Friday 2019 ad scans like we did last year, but until then an alleged Walmart Black Friday 2019 ad leak brings rumors of both a...
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare & MediEvil Join New PS4 Games Next Week
Next week the PlayStation 4 gets some heavy hitters, including Call of Duty: Modern Warfare for PS4 on October 24th, and both MediEvil and The Outer Worlds on October 25th. 😃 Without further ado...
Sony Rumored to Unveil PS5 at PlayStation Meeting on February 12, 2020
Yesterday we saw the first PS5 DevKit Prototype Images, and although Sony confirmed the PlayStation 5 will launch during the Holiday 2020 season they haven't announced an official PS5 unveiling...
Leaked PS5 Dev Kit Prototype Images Surface from ZONEofTECH
Following the PS5 Development Kit Design Patent and PlayStation 5 Development Kit 3D Renders, this weekend ZONEofTECH shared some leaked Sony PS5 Dev Kit Prototype Images on Twitter with a video...